I had to go work on one of these today. When put in the "bake" position, the fan would work, but the elements didn't come on. I ohmed out the easily accessible element, and it ohmed good, so I went on to look for a control problem that would cause that one not to come on. After a bunch of taking panels off, and tracing wires, I found that the other element was blown, but the ELEMENTS WERE WIRED IN SERIES! That's why I wasn't getting power to my second one.

Of course there wasn't a print on this unit, so I don't know if this is factory or some hack job. Has anyone heard of this before? I imagine that if the elements were correctly sized, it would work as one large element, but I just found it weird.

Thanks for your input.

I have worked on a few ovens, different manufacturers, and I have found that the elements are usually wired seperately so you can have "bake" and "broil"
    Baking alternates between the elements on some ovens to keep the temps in the space fairly even. Broil uses only the upper element.

I can understand your point, but I don't think it applies here. This is a convexion oven without a broil option. It has the fan on the left with one element coiled along the circumfrence of the fan. The second element is flat against the right wall of the oven.

Thanks for the reply!

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Try garland-group.com

They have a lot of the manuals online plus their contact numbers.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

perhaps each element might have different voltages that equil up to 240 volts.

I have not worked on one of those but it is not uncommon to see elements in series in steam tables.
    Take your time & do it right!

Great input guys. Thanks. At least there is some chance that this is factory and not some jackass' wiring screw-up.