+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making a freezer act like a refrigerator

Post Likes
    I'm new to this forum, and have little experience working with freezers and refrigerators. I brew a lot of beer, and I have a question whose answer could help a lot of people like me that have chest freezers that they would like to use for very-cold-but-not-freezing beer storage. If you guys have a good answer (if one exists I'm sure you'll have it), I will post it on the beer brewing forums that I often frequent.

Is there a way to modify the thermostat control on a chest freezer so that it will maintain a temp of about 35 degrees F? Sure, I could use an external temp control and probe, but that seems like a waste given that there already exists a perfectly good temp control device already in the freezer. My Kenmore has a 1-7 dial, but even the warmest setting still freezes liquids (beer). Anybody know how to modify this temp control to work at warmer temps?

Thanks a lot. Sorry I can't contribute to the knowledge of this forum, but I'm sure the beer gods will appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Post Likes
    The thermostats are perfectly good untill you calibrate them. There may be a calibration screw/adjustment on t-stat somewhere. You might see it if you remove knob from t-stat and look down center of shaft, or it could be somewhere else in or on stat body.

If you could calibrate t-stat to run higher temperatures, I dont think it would be as accurate as youd want with that being a cold wall type freezer?

You possibly could overload the compressor running at higher tempertures than it was designed for.

It might be worth a try, if ya have a spare freezer to play with.

Post Likes
    Thanks, ucp. I'll look for the calibration screw tonight.

It's a Kenmore 12.8 cu ft chest freezer, about 15 years old. I got it for $45, so if it gets destroyed in the process no big deal.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mclancy
    I got it for $45, so if it gets destroyed in the process no big deal.
    Yes, however if it takes out thirty gallons of fine home brew, that's quite another matter.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by icemeister
    I got it for $45, so if it gets destroyed in the process no big deal.
    Yes, however if it takes out thirty gallons of fine home brew, that's quite another matter.
    Thats the most important consideration of all! Why didnt I think of that.

Post Likes
    Wait a sec... fooling with the calibration isn't going to make the freezer explode or anything, will it? I'll message back tomorrow and let you know if I could find the calibration screw, and if it worked.

Post Likes
    No, it shouldnt explode!LOL Probably freezer just will not work if the t-stat gets messed up. Turn off power before playing with it though.

Post Likes
    I think the best way is to use the external thermostat and plug the freezer into that. yes you can mess with the thermostat, but like you say it has settings 1-7, not any temps. Any type of consumer appliance is designed for a certain very specific range, even after screwing with it I dunno if you can get it warm enough.

Good Luck!

Clyde, homebrewer and brewery chiller manufacturer.

Post Likes
    It's a crapshoot, buy those small, home bar type refrigerators, you can run them real damn cold.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    just increase the alcohol content of the beer so it doesn't freeze

Post Likes
    I took it apart last night and couldn't find anything that looked like a calibration screw. I think I'll just go the external temperature controller route... there are some cheap ones on eBay. Thanks a lot for everybody's input (particularly the "increase the alcohol content" suggestion).

Post Likes
    I took it apart last night and couldn't find anything that looked like a calibration screw. I think I'll just go the external temperature controller route... there are some cheap ones on eBay. Thanks a lot for everybody's input (particularly the "increase the alcohol content" suggestion).
    Magic word "Cheap"
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in