+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sunday is a normal workday?

Post Likes

sunday is a normal workday?

Got contacted by an industrial company. For on site work. They believe that all of their mechanics should work Sunday, has a normally scheduled day of work. They do give the mechanics two days off during the week. But want every one there Sunday. And Sunday hours are paid at regular rate.

Just seemed odd to me. To expect every Sunday for regular pay
    Last edited by pilotlight; 01-21-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Post Likes
    Short of a contract why not. We operate 24 / 7 / 365, Sunday could be a regular day.

Post Likes
    For many industrial operations weekends are just another two days of the week. I have a facility that has the same deal with the maintenance crew, Sunday is shut down day and they need the whole crew onsite to clean, rebuild, and perform preventative maintenance on the process equipment. Once they start back up they run for another six days until another Sunday shut down.

Not my cup of tea and I would never do it but in the rare event they can't get the chilled water system back on line and call me in, I don't mind the Sunday double time. It only happens about twice a year so it's not bad.

Just tell them no thanks.

Post Likes
    In a 24/7 operation every hour down or out of service has a cost. If you have a job that provides every weekend off and Saturday & Sunday are overtime days you have something many don't have. I would bet if you worked the weekday you are scheduled to be off you get overtime pay for it (Federal labor laws for hourly workers) Whether you are a union supporter or not, having Saturday & Sunday off and as overtime was earned by the unions. If you work for yourself every day is a work day and it is rare to know what overtime is. Salaried (exempt) folks, many times work additional hours for no pay. I have worked on jobs as craft (being the business owner) and not added any hours to the bill just to get the customer back in service. They remember that the next time they needs some routine work done.

Post Likes
    Work is mandated by hours of work, not the days you work.........it is a 24/7 hour society..........It is also At Will Employment

That being said---NO we don't work on Sundays No we don't offer 24 Hour Service...we do answer the phone, we will schedule your call, we will come out in a EXTREME situation, but rare

One of the reasons I got out of industrial work- I like my time during "Regular Hours" I don't want to be off when everyone else is working and visa versa- My guys like it the way it is

Post Likes
    Yeah it ain't my cup of tea either. The position is in house. And I just can't see working Sunday for regular pay. Hell even Walmart I think pays more for Sunday hours.

Post Likes
    Look all I'm saying is weigh the options before making a decision. What is the rate of pay? When is overtime to be paid? How much vacation time will you be given? How much sick time and what holidays are paid for? What are your benefits (Health, eyes, dental, prescriptions) and how much will you pay for the benefits? Offer a 401k? matching funds? Have kids? What hours does you wife work? Have to pay for a babysitter while at work? Like to work on a contract basis: Feast this month, unemployment next month? If you are not improving your financial position and quality of life you are 100 percent correct to turn it down.

The national statistics are people change jobs every 5 years, so don't look at this as you are stuck there forever.

I once had a craft person working for me. He asked what is the difference between being rich or being poor? I said what. He said 2 weeks pay.

Post Likes
    Sunday is just another day of the week.
    I just switched into this trade after 12 years in retail management. Depending on your family/personal situation don't overlook how nice it can be to have days off during the week. It's way easier to get things done. For me, my wife is a school teacher... All summer we would have our "weekends" on tuesday and wednesday and not have to fight crowds and traffic on saturday. And i got to spend days home with my kids before they went to school (save $$$ on daycare). It would be tough to commit to EVERY Sunday, but if there is some kind of rotation its not bad.. Just what you're used to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fozziee2 View Post
    Sunday is just another day of the week.
    I just switched into this trade after 12 years in retail management. Depending on your family/personal situation don't overlook how nice it can be to have days off during the week. It's way easier to get things done. For me, my wife is a school teacher... All summer we would have our "weekends" on tuesday and wednesday and not have to fight crowds and traffic on saturday. And i got to spend days home with my kids before they went to school (save $$$ on daycare). It would be tough to commit to EVERY Sunday, but if there is some kind of rotation its not bad.. Just what you're used to.
    No rotation. I have done my fair share of Sundays. When I was at the machine shop. I would volunteer for Sundays. I liked the double time. Now has I get older. I kinda like Sunday to myself. I have no kids so that isn't an issue. I just look forward to the classic three day weekend. The getting up early Sunday morning and reading the paper. The occasional Sunday morning hangover. Lol

Post Likes
    go with your gut.
    after getting O T on sunday ,you will never look at it the same
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotlight View Post
    No rotation. I have done my fair share of Sundays. When I was at the machine shop. I would volunteer for Sundays. I liked the double time. Now has I get older. I kinda like Sunday to myself. I have no kids so that isn't an issue. I just look forward to the classic three day weekend. The getting up early Sunday morning and reading the paper. The occasional Sunday morning hangover. Lol
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Post Likes
    I'm not sure I see a problem. I would prefer that sometimes. If I get two days off in the middle of the week I can go hunting or fishing with no crowds. Just my opinion.

Post Likes
    This is what I have noticed in the larger shops Sunday is just another day,the smaller shops (mom and pop) Sunday is still a off day,unless you are on call

Post Likes
    When I lived in the NE and worked in a Potato Factory we worked three shifts 24/6 with one day down to clean equipment. Only the graveyard shift got a shift differential.
    My son works at a place where he starts on Monday and works nine days on and five days off so he gets every other weekend off.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in