Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap side job

cheap side job

I did a side job for a resturant the other day. I want to know am I right
    Or wrong. The own told me that he wanted me to use a old compressor
    That he had on another unit. He didn't want to pay for a new one. Change the compresssor
    And it worked, the temperture went to 35* . He payed me 175 and I left
    Two day later that one. Went down completly, when it would shut off It would shake real bad.
    Should I return or screw him. I have a 3n 1 and a new compressor but I know he is not going to pay. Please comment
    Your opinion will help me deside whether to go back or burn this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUETOTHEGAME View Post
    That he had on another unit. He didn't want to pay for a new one. Change the compresssor
    Two day later that one. Went down completly, when it would shut off It would shake real bad.
    Should I return or screw him. I have a 3n 1 and a new compressor but I know he is not going to pay. Please comment
    True,
    This is the problem with used compressors. Its a roll of the dice. Sometimes you get the elevator sometimes you get the shaft. In the future make it clear there is no warranty on a used compressor. Now if you want to continue to do his work go back and sell him what you new was right.

no way id ever warranty a used comp install....
    tell him its time to do it right....
    kinda ..i told ya so.....

If you weren't contracting without a license you wouldn't be in this situation....
    If you gonna do side jobs at least do it right....
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

I don't think you should "burn" the customer by giving him the run around. You should give him a quote to do the job right and if he refuses don't do the job. 175 seems very low for changing a compressor.

Too low....insulting to the trade!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

considering the expensive tools require to change a compressor, the price is definetely low.

Ignoring the fact that you probably used your bosses truck,tools,gas, acetylene, brazing rod, flux, and maybe even other parts to do this job at his cost while competing against him...

You should have explained the risks before hand, and been clear that there was no warranty.

I think you need to respond and finish the job right...at the customer's expense. The customer can't expect you to be responsible for the condition of the old compressor he provided.

But it should be done with your tools, gas, truck, etc.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Make the best of it now the damage is done. See post 8

From post #8 (only ONE that would even bring this up) I like you maintenanceguy.

Ignoring the fact that you probably used your bosses truck,tools,gas, acetylene, brazing rod, flux, and maybe even other parts to do this job at his cost while competing against him...

You should have explained the risks before hand, and been clear that there was no warranty.

I think you need to respond and finish the job right...at the customer's expense. The customer can't expect you to be responsible for the condition of the old compressor he provided.

But it should be done with your tools, gas, truck, etc.
    Last edited by DDDpope; 05-05-2010 at 12:15 AM. Reason: second thought

I only do side work that my company wouldn't do ( my own equiment). I never install used equiment. it will bite you every time. Quote the repairs

Quote Originally Posted by TRUETOTHEGAME View Post
    Rule #1, Never do side jobs on the cheap, that crap will come back to haunt you, I see you have now learned Rule #1 almost in it's entirety.

Rule #2, Never let a customer tell you how to repair equipment, you are the professional, installing used parts is just plain stupid. That is when I walk.

Rule #3, Charge enough to have warranty built into your pricing so that if there is an issue you can provide nothing less than excellent customer service. You didn't do that, and now you wanna burn the guy? Does our industry a lot of good now, doesn't it.

Rule #4, Don't use the companies stuff for your side jobs, actually this should be #1 or #2. It's stealing, not sure if you did though.

Rule #5, if you are going to go out and do work on your own, do it right, get licensed, insured etc, so you don't keep screwing it up for all of the legitimate guys, but you can keep those side jobbing, used parts customers, we don't want them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Too low....insulting to the trade!
    Absolutely.......

Angry

This was a cash job? No warranty!
    My customers always are asking me"How much to do it for cash?"
    cash jobs= they get no papers, no invoice, and no warranty.

And on top of that, if it is a job on the books, my invoices state that I only warranty stuff I install AND sell. And if someone else works on it or tinkers with it all bets are off!
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast