clearance above a ventless insert?

In the living room in this new house is a ventless fireplace, but since it's fairly small and has no flu and is on an inside wall there is a big open space in the wall above it in the fake chimeny. It's in a place where I'd love a built in bookcase on the opposite side of the wall. Are the rules for clearance above an unvented fireplace such that I could do this? If it's a few inches to a foot of space or fiberglass then it would be perfect, but I dont want to cook the bottom shelf or risk a fire or any such thing. I'm guessing that every firebox has a different requirement so I know that you probably wont be able to answer for sure, but if it's just a bad idea overall I'd like to know that too

thank you!

If it is truly a "ventless" - for safety's sake, have it removed or shut off. Co hazard to sy the least...

Need to find the make and model, then find an owners manual. I would see if I could find a dealer for the brand and have them come inspect it.

Question part deaux?

Is this the same house as your other post?

Need the inspection first along with identifying what you have before thinking about clearances. If it is not allowed or a hazard, it may have to be removed regardless.

What's your location? It's 90 degrees here this week, I can come look at it. I won't even charge a service call, only travel time. :-)
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

This is not the same fireplace as in the other post, this has no flu and is on an inside wall. It's a "temco" model ADF425 and the more I look at it the more confused I become This has a gas pipe capped on the side, but there is no valve in the wall outside to turn it on and off, so it's either not connected to anything or it was meant for an automatic insert too. I'm thinking that the insert that is currently in the other fireplace may have been meant to be in this one and that one have a regular log. The clearances for the thing are listed on the info panel go figure So I can figure out if I can do anything with this after I have someone in to look at the chimney and figure out if there is even gas here or not. it may end up with flowers after all. I just wanted to gather some more info before I called in the fireplace folks so I could ask better questions once I have them here.

Thanks again everyone!

PS: logdoc_rob, I'm about a days drive south of you so it's even warmer here No hurry to make fireplaces work, just getting the ball rolling so that I can use them come this fall!

Days drive, no problem....I've got time. :-) LMAO
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Tempco isn't that Majestic now....you need to get the manual, the specifications for the clearances will be there.