Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

These photos were taken last winter. This Carrier gas pack heats/cools our office. No wonder we were all smelling fumes in the office?!!! Wish Carrier would use a heavier duty heat exchanger. This unit is approximately six years old. -DF

In the future, take a break BEFORE you pee in your pants.

LOL!!! That's one of my techs, Vince. I guess he was just trying to stay warm! :0 -DF

Anybody ever check the gas pressure on that carrier.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Typical Carrier RTU heat exchanger to me

Is that condenser as dirty as it looks on the inside?

Originally posted by wolfdog
    In the future, take a break BEFORE you pee in your pants.

Good to hear from you Wolfy!
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Answers: Coolwhip, the gas pressure was adjusted after the heat exchanger was replaced. Unfortunately, I see alot of the tube style heat exchangers split along the weld. They are not usually as bad as this one,

BaldLoonie: The entire unit including both coils were filthy dirty. The filters were gone when we moved into this building 1-1/2 years ago and I have no idea how long it ran without filters.

There are three other Carrier gas packs in the building. ALL had split or rusted out heat exchangers. We replaced two and shut the third system off at it serves a warehouse that is now left unconditioned. -DF

What caused it to rust so badly?

I've seen a couple like that. All of them for because of all sorts of different reasons. I found one like that in a residential unit, I was getting a high CO reading 20 feet from the house. They're lucky they're still alive.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

I wonder if the units are short cycling due to a size or set up issue. Condensate dwell will cause the heat exchanger to fail quicker. Adding a post purge on the inducer fan circuit will extend the life of the heat exchanger and all of the other parts.

I find commercial Carrier units from 5 ton and up look like that after 4 years... don't know what is up with that. Maybe material or it could be the old style vent rail inserts installed/rusted out at the end of the tubing. I see in the pics above you have a new crimped style tube. The old ones were straight.

Carrier worker bees beware... give yourself three months before heating season and check'm !

Exclamation Typical Carrier

That failure is very typical of Carrier. All summer long condensation builds up in the flue gas collection box, along the welds and at the bottom of the turns, while the a/c is running. At least that model is easy to replace. Check it again in five years.

do those carrier units have a centrifical switch for air proofing comb air
    if the wheel rusts out a little=more condensation

when quoting these,make sure you add in the internal hx parts,not included when pricing the hx
    i couldnt believe the price carrier was asking for these
    internal parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast