There is another black box that has been appearing on my customers electrical panels. The promise is 20 to 40% savings in energy costs, the local rep gor friendly when I questioned him and he told me he would come to my house an install one for free. They sell for 1200 for the residential version and go up from there. They connect through any breaker in each panel and are said to filter transient voltages and there by reducing your electrical costs, there is no explanation how transients cost more. The power company claims that the meters won't respond to spikes ect. But yet they endorse these devices. I asked what they were made of and got vague answers supplied by the makers of these devices. I have had it for a year and it does not show any measurable savings. I put a scope on my mincoming power with and with out the device and there is no help in supressing any transient voltages from 1200 hz and up I didn't see and frequencies below that that were measurable. I asked the sales guy about them and he said that that was only one part of teh package and for 800 they would send a "Tech" over to install an oil additive into my "System" and this would save me on my power bill...... and on it goes...

Sound like another gimmick. Bet it would never pay for it self at $1200. I am curious if it's UL listed?

If it would save ANYTHING on electrical power consumption, Israel would have them on everything they own!
    They are a no nonsence government. We here are mainly driven by gullibility, fashion, c o n v e i n ence...

It does sound like a gimmic though.

Why dont you tear it apart and see whats in side? There outa be a patent on the thing. That must list it's internal diagram.

Get out the sazall..... it's time for another project/adventure.

On the side of the "TVSS" transient voltage surge supressor, it says UL listed # 63ms.

Originally posted by R12rules
    If it would save ANYTHING on electrical power consumption, Israel would have them on everything they own!
    They are a no nonsence government. We here are mainly driven by gullibility, fashion, c o n v e i n ence...

It does sound like a gimmic though.

Why dont you tear it apart and see whats in side? There outa be a patent on the thing. That must list it's internal diagram.

Get out the sazall..... it's time for another project/adventure.

Currently I hav six projects in the works a -100C computer cooler, a few -50 gpu coolers, a -150C cooler and a system that will dehumidify a computer so dew point is -100C. Oh yea and a -180c cooler ...

Wink The more they change that more they stay the same

Some of the old timers out there in the HVAC world may remember back in the 70's a Power Useage Control. They went by some name as Kilo-Control, Power Mizer.

The way they worked was simple. There was a control box with a set of relays. The relays were wired in series with the higher load appliances. The control box is an amp meter and when then electrical demand got higher that 1200kwh, or so, the controler then would start shuting down, one by one, the appliances.

So you see, it's just an old Chevy with a new paint job.

Load shedding and load cycling....not the success story they were sold to be.

Had a bunch of dept. stores that put in load cycling devices. They would shut down zones for 15 minutes every hour. When they timed out the zone would go to 2nd stage cool to catch up. Savings down the drain.

Corporate compared square footage with electric bill and awarded a nice bonus to the store with the most energy savings from these devices. I was sworn to secrecy by the winning store manager that the high dollar device had been unplugged for months.