Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Are any of you doing anything with mold issues? I feel that the industry is avoiding it (we have to). I am not sure what side of the fence to stand on here. We advertise IAQ a great deal. I feel it is my job to prevent the mold not clean it up. When a customer says MOLD do you run?
    "The value of quality is long rembered after the thrill of low price is forgotten."

mold occurs mostly because of design failures in equipment selection and application...thanks to government setting of standards that apply in every climate without regard to actual needs...same equipment match up in houston and phoenix...

I understand what and where mold is and does. I was wondering if anybody was doing anything with existing conditions in homes or buildings.
    "The value of quality is long rembered after the thrill of low price is forgotten."

yes..redesign the equipment performance to increase humidity removal dramatically...like a smaller evap coil..

Mold prevention

In the southeastern U.S. mold prevention must be addressed with dehumidification, in addition to properly sizing and maintaining the HVAC system. There is no residential HVAC system, however perfectly sized and maintained, that removes enough humidity in many homes which require up to 22 gallons of water removal from the air each day to keep the humidity below 50%.
    The HVAC manufacturers R & D departments are racing to develop whole home dehumidification systems but until then the only two for homes are thermastor.com and air & energy systems (healthyairusa.com).

mold

most mold grows best at 55 degrees and 50% humidity, and in the dark.

That pretty much describes most evaporators I know in the summer... It's hard to avoid a problem that a piece of equipment pretty much sets itself up as the perfect place for that problem to occur...

I think the industry basically needs a new solution for that and it isn't going to come easy or soon...

Re: mold

Originally posted by rifter

That pretty much describes most evaporators I know in the summer... It's hard to avoid a problem that a piece of equipment pretty much sets itself up as the perfect place for that problem to occur...

I think the industry basically needs a new solution for that and it isn't going to come easy or soon... [/B]
    uv lights.

Actually Pilgrim we install just such a system in Houston every day. Our homes maintain humidity levels below or near 50% on all but a few days of the year.
    Brad we have systems that are virtually mold free and do not use and do not need "UV" lights.
    In the most extreme cases like infrequently used beach houses along the coast and homes that have new systems we did not install we use Thermastor units.

Education is what we push. Getting the systems operators to understand what it means to shut down the HVAC for long periods of time and that it's everyone's responsibility to keep mold at bay are two key items we talk about.

Originally posted by airman1
    mold occurs mostly because of design failures in equipment selection and application...thanks to government setting of standards that apply in every climate without regard to actual needs...same equipment match up in houston and phoenix...
    I'm so glad to hear that mold problems can't be caused by installation issues like duct leakage, unsealed return plenums, or condensate drains that can't drain...

Wait a minute - I see as many installation related problems as I do design problems. Could it be that problems can occur in any part of the project (design, installation, or operation) that can cause humidity and mold problems??? No, that couldn't be - it doesn't fit in a sound bite.

Check manufacturer's catalogs and ACCA manuals for specific guidance on which equipment match up should be used in which climate, the match ups differ according to climate. The 2000 and later version of the International Energy Conservation Code (now required by Texas State Law) divides the US into five climate zones. Houston and Phoenix are in different zones.

Thanks to bradjmx4 for starting a topic that needs more discussion and to all the others who are contributing to that discussion.

[Edited by cxagent on 04-22-2004 at 07:11 PM]

installation IS the application of the design...and it is mostly...that means mostly or over 50% for those of you with the new math...or was that moistly...

Mold!

Here is what i have learned first go to the EPA site on the web there is a booket you can download and print ! it will give you the new contractor the out it tells the how owner how they get it ( well they do touch the subject that can be caused or grows in HVAC ) and give that to them while they are reading the booklet it will tell them to call your trusted HVAC guy to have the Mold removed from the HVAC system. Also while you are in the home take note for mixed matched systems. if you have a 5 ton condr and a 3 ton blower do you honestly think you are going to get the moisture out! tell the h/o that there unit is mixed matched Hell anyone out there thinking about getting a bigger unit outside but at the time the inside is still in good shape and it is smaller than what they want, ...They may tell you in the future they are going to increase their house size but not to change the inside unit untill they have the money or when it goes out. let them know that even though no Real Test have been run Use you Head! 5 ton drive Cooling against a 3.5 ton Blower?!@%!$# ask yourself are you doing them a justice or a misjustice????? They may at first think you are crazy for giving them information they can use and may in fact go to another company to install what they want but in 3 -4 yrs whem there home has mold issues who are they going to call and trust. Be Honest!!! even if it Hurts ! I have found that I make some people mad but 3 days later they call the company I work for and have us install their new unit! there are so many tools on the net to help you sell the most expense unit ~~ EPA AMerican Heart Assoc. and the Dept of Energy are the best place to go they have Mold Booklets and Air Test and Balance Bookets!! Great Tools! Dont be Scared! Be Safe and Offer Saftey In All you Do!!!! but most of Honesty is the Key!
    Good Luck !
    Take Care

Originally posted by bradjmx4
    Are any of you doing anything with mold issues? I feel that the industry is avoiding it (we have to). I am not sure what side of the fence to stand on here. We advertise IAQ a great deal. I feel it is my job to prevent the mold not clean it up. When a customer says MOLD do you run?

5ton condenser with a 3.5 blower tons ...1400 cfm... air side does work and is done a whole lot more than you know...it is not what you do but how you do it...

[Edited by airman1 on 04-22-2004 at 11:45 PM]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast