Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

refrigerant Burn (apprentices read)

I am writing this to warn other apprentices the danger of refrigerant. I am a first year apprentice that has been doing install, but in the off time of my 4yr apprenticeship they let me ride with service. I was on a simple maintenance and the tech let me do the outside unit. I noticed when putting on gauges to the liquid line that the shrader was very long or something. It was just not right. The caps were not on, but sitting inside the electrical cabinet. My common sense told me it was not right, but i let the pressure to perform get to me. I started unscrewing the liquid line, and it just kept shooting out! I say 5-8 seconds is all it took for this burn. Worst part is you know your hands feeling weird, but you don't even know your burned. It's only hours later that you actually feel burned, and hours after that till you know how bad it really is. I will also tell you it is very painful for days, and not just 5 minutes It's days this hurts!!!!

The image i am showing you is really five seconds damage from just unscrewing from a unit.

i got a bad freon burn once...it was dark out and the schraeder was faulty.. i tried capping it to save the gas and winded up getting burned pretty good and also winded up having to let all the gas go b/c i couldn't cap it.. loss loss situation..

people should note warnings inside units to let others know of any dangers - in my opinion

That is a bad burn probably second degree. I literally feel your pain. I have been there and done that. But never again. This is one lesson one only has to learn once. Thanks for posting so as others may learn from your mistake. Look into the quick disconnects if you are now gun shy.

Do a search. You ain't the first, won't be the last either.
    Ask me how I know.
    Yes I do have the quick connects now. It only took me 30 plus years, and uncounted burns.
    The last time, was worse than the burn in that picture. Stupid move on my part, trying to save the refrigerant. Never again. The doctor cost lots more than that refrigerant.
    That burn is gonna hurt a lot longer than a few days.
    Wait till ya get to pick the dead skin off. You might want to buy some surgical sissors now, beat the rush.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Ask me how I know.
    Yes I do have the quick connects now. It only took me 30 plus years, and uncounted burns.
    The last time, was worse than the burn in that picture. Stupid move on my part, trying to save the refrigerant. Never again. The doctor cost lots more than that refrigerant.
    Why do we always try to save the refrigerant ?

"We" don't anymore.

Instinct, I guess.

Nothing worst then trying to screw a cap back on old faithful.

I got burned once, posted somewhere on this site.

now I always use low loss, eye protection and leather gloves!

I don't think I've ever met an HVAC/R tech that hasn't done that at least once. We all end up blasting ourselves with refrigerant at some point. Worst one I've had was with liquid R-170 (ethane) right out of the cascade condenser in a freeze drier. Thought I was going to lose an index finger.

I think the EPA might give a man a break on something like this. Don't you?

That would come under accidental release.

Yep, been burnt because of a bad schrader already.

makes you think more the next time you see a schrader that doesn't look right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Been there done that.......several times.

I don't do it anymore. A jug of juice still costs less than a trip to the ER.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Ask me how I know.
    That burn is gonna hurt a lot longer than a few days.
    Wait till ya get to pick the dead skin off. You might want to buy some surgical sissors now, beat the rush.
    Looks like he is left handed so right handed scissors should be no problem.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast