+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadly mobile home furnace found

Post Likes

85 year old lady had to have a lung removed due to lung cancer. She told me that she just had her furnace serviced and the thermocouple replaced last winter. The guy didn't mention anything about her furnace being dangerous.

[Edited by Steve Wiggins on 06-14-2004 at 07:22 PM]
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    Im sure he inspected the heat exchanger and did an electronic co check. Poor old lady. Dumb ass tech!

Post Likes
    Wow! Now that's a crack! How can u miss that?
    Here where i'm from the last person to work on the system is responsible for the outcome...that "TECH" is LUCKY!

Post Likes
    How do you pull the blower out of that thing?

Post Likes
    I've found a few like that. You just wonder how the people are still alive sometimes.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    Probably some maintenance man moonlighting as a tech.Too ignorant to properly diagnose life threatening situation.I had a similar diagnosis,recommended new system.Homeowner called local HACK,he told her unit was fine and that she just needed to get a carbon monoxide detector and as long as it didnt beep she was okay.Who do you think she listened to?

Post Likes
    I have seen one like that and rust had coverd crack and did not leak CO. I took my meter back for service. When I got it back I fired it up at the shop and still didn't register.

The blower comes out pretty easy. You have to roll it foward.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    I've found cracks like that just using an inspection mirror and a flashlight. How the alleged "tech" working on that furnace could miss it is...inexcusable.

Post Likes
    Let me guess. Intertherm or colesman about 1978.

Post Likes
    That crack is a view looking up through the bottom of the furnace. Removing the limit switch panel would have given pretty easy access to see that crack. I stuck my hand up past the crack inside the furnace and felt the sidewall. It gave way pretty easily so I am sure the crack you are seeing now is not the worst of it. I plan on total disassembly for better pics of this beast.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    SPIDERS! SPIDERS! kill it, kill it
    Sorry my brain is messed up from co poisoning. Can't figure out where it came from.
    SPIDERS!

Post Likes
    It's easy to see cracks like that when the furnace is disassembled and sitting on the porch. A little harder while lying over a couple of basketsfull of clothes, empty suitcases, shoe boxes, etc., in the dark. Good job Steve. It takes diligence to go the extra mile to look for cracks like that especially when you don't know whether or not they even exist!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes

With the HX out you can see another larger crack up the side. The two cracks seem to follow the metal in a diagonal where it was cross broke at the factory.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by rushin
    SPIDERS! SPIDERS! kill it, kill it
    Sorry my brain is messed up from co poisoning. Can't figure out where it came from.
    SPIDERS!
    LOL

Everybody gives me hell including my wife because I hate spiders sooooooo much. Ever want to hear a grown man scream like a 4 year old girl, put a spider on me. Snakes, rats, bats, mice are all fine but spiders are friggin YUCKY!

Check these SOB's out.
    They are Camel Spider found in Iraq. Those babies run upto 10 mph, they are the fastest anthropod on Earth. They also have a 54" vertical jump.
    My bro, currently within eyeshot of Bahgdad has only seen a few dead ones laying on the road. He says over there they are like squirels here, but they usually only come out at night.
    Now that's damn disgustin'.

[Edited by i_got_ideas on 06-16-2004 at 01:26 AM]
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    Spiders don't normally bother me but one THAT size might send shivers down my spine!

Post Likes
    DAMN!!! I have seen smaller dogs than those things.

Post Likes
    i have seen one of those in a trailer before. now you forgot to mention the, shall i say, 'strong'? strong smell of 5+ cats in that trailer and you can feel the carpet crunch under your boots?! oh yeah forgot that part? i wish i could too! but anyways, i have seen one of those but this was an ac call with a , uhh umm, strong headed customer who has a heart attack because the flare fits inside were leaking so bad that (i went with svc mgr. on this one) when freon was put into the empty system, you could hear it hiss out inside the trailer. naturally the poo pane line was next to those. not sure if we lost call or not. (please?!)

Post Likes
    I have taken out more than a handfull of them find a few more every year

even seen one this week for an estimate was a 1968 furnace

Post Likes
    that falls out of the crack catigory and falls in the big hole area. i wish i had the pics of one last year, had a hole the size of a golf ball. to top it off the h/o. asked if i would just patch it w/ s.m. and silicone!!!!!!

Post Likes

"Everybody gives me hell including my wife because I hate spiders sooooooo much. Ever want to hear a grown man scream like a 4 year old girl, put a spider on me. Snakes, rats, bats, mice are all fine but spiders are friggin YUCKY!"

Too funny, Im with ya with that scenario,thats why I always carry my nap gas/dual crosstech with me, pop them york condensor covers off and , look out!Widow Central.

Brown recluse are nasty also, dem bastards eat your skin through, yikes!!!

Yes I did hurl during the movie "ARachnaphobia", the Tarantualas out here, jump up to 6 ft during migration, its damn straight scary,lol

Friggin Jack Rabbitts look like Kangaroos.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in