Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

85 year old lady had to have a lung removed due to lung cancer. She told me that she just had her furnace serviced and the thermocouple replaced last winter. The guy didn't mention anything about her furnace being dangerous.

[Edited by Steve Wiggins on 06-14-2004 at 07:22 PM]
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Im sure he inspected the heat exchanger and did an electronic co check. Poor old lady. Dumb ass tech!
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Wow! Now that's a crack! How can u miss that?
    Here where i'm from the last person to work on the system is responsible for the outcome...that "TECH" is LUCKY!

How do you pull the blower out of that thing?

I've found a few like that. You just wonder how the people are still alive sometimes.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Probably some maintenance man moonlighting as a tech.Too ignorant to properly diagnose life threatening situation.I had a similar diagnosis,recommended new system.Homeowner called local HACK,he told her unit was fine and that she just needed to get a carbon monoxide detector and as long as it didnt beep she was okay.Who do you think she listened to?

I have seen one like that and rust had coverd crack and did not leak CO. I took my meter back for service. When I got it back I fired it up at the shop and still didn't register.

The blower comes out pretty easy. You have to roll it foward.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I've found cracks like that just using an inspection mirror and a flashlight. How the alleged "tech" working on that furnace could miss it is...inexcusable.

Let me guess. Intertherm or colesman about 1978.

That crack is a view looking up through the bottom of the furnace. Removing the limit switch panel would have given pretty easy access to see that crack. I stuck my hand up past the crack inside the furnace and felt the sidewall. It gave way pretty easily so I am sure the crack you are seeing now is not the worst of it. I plan on total disassembly for better pics of this beast.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

SPIDERS! SPIDERS! kill it, kill it
    Sorry my brain is messed up from co poisoning. Can't figure out where it came from.
    SPIDERS!

It's easy to see cracks like that when the furnace is disassembled and sitting on the porch. A little harder while lying over a couple of basketsfull of clothes, empty suitcases, shoe boxes, etc., in the dark. Good job Steve. It takes diligence to go the extra mile to look for cracks like that especially when you don't know whether or not they even exist!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

With the HX out you can see another larger crack up the side. The two cracks seem to follow the metal in a diagonal where it was cross broke at the factory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast