Is there an epoxy or other type cold weld that can be used to mount the evaporater thermostat bracket to the evap. Or is replacing the evap. the only way to go. I know manufactuer will only warranty replacing the evap.

Dont know of an non-toxic epoxy that can be used might just replace the evap.....Later

I've gotten away with brazing them a few times, but it's not a job for the faint of heart

The evap heatsinks bigtime, drawing the heat from your weld. If you get it too hot you can melt that crappy low temp solder joint where the accumulator goes in, or you can warp the evap. That happened to me once. It arched up in the middle and I had to mash it back down

It's also a little scary with all the plastic in the cabinet.

I managed to pull the evap out and twist the lines enough to rotate the evap upside down without removing it, but it's a pain putting it back without kinking them. Probably easier to take it out, and if you're going to do that, might as well replace the evap if it's under warranty.
    The ones I did were old nonwarranty ones. They worked okay, but it's not one of my favorite jobs.

I've seen people try to epoxy them on but they didn't hold, I guess maybe due to expansion and contraction from zero degrees up to higher harvest temps. Some people here rave about JB Weld, but I've never tried it. Seems like it would have to conduct temperature to work right though.

I don't know if toxicity would be an issue with epoxy or JB Weld, because you're talking about the underside of the evap.

[Edited by midhvac on 06-15-2004 at 09:12 PM]

Smile

Thanks for the input guys. Normally we just replace the evaporator on warranty calls. Just trying to find a quicker and less expensive way for those out of warranty customers who don't want to cough up the dough.