Hybrid View

Got a call this morning, guy looking for a price to replace a 2-ton condenser, I do most of this devolepement which Ive mentioned a few times, the guys comp. is gone so gas co. says, he ask me if I wont to check it, I say no, he says how much to replace condenser, he says price (usually people will say a lower by about $100-) there price is $500 less than mine, do you believe it. I also lost 40 apt. with h.p.s last week, one guy owns them all, Ive replaced over half on roof. Been taking care of him for 9-years, he started having alot of people moving out and no one moving in 4-vacant units $1,450 a month times 6-months hes lost alot. So he priced out last replacement. I saw the replacement the hack did, used Bryant didnt need crane cause there so small, and light, could get thru the scuttle humping it with ladder. I saw the new install, left disconnect sitting on roof, cig. butts, put out on rubber roof, burnt liq. so bad you wouldnt believe, sized unit 1/2 ton smaller, I did load and its to small, even with the right size condenser it was boardline using existing a/h. Guy got grease rust etc. all over rugs on top floor, and had a bunch of wire colors writing on cardboard with wire desg. like he had no idea what he was doing, he used the old disconnect (to big, and rotted out) i was replacing them with lic. electrician. Its getting tough with pricing out there, whats up with the economy, or just bad luck? But if the Gas Co. is doing jobs that cheap, good luck to the rest of us.

Do these replacements require permits in your area? If so I'd turn them in a complaint to the local jurisdiction. If its that bad they probably don't permit them.
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

Our gas companies all gave up on HVAC. Alliant Energy is the biggest here and we are the regional HVAC contractor for thier appliance protection program. It's good money. They just fax us and we head out. They pre-authorize upto $250, anything over we call for the ok. We also do work for a couple other smaller gas/electric Co-op's too.

I'm not trying to rub it in.....just saying,maybe something like this will happen in your area. You could call and explain to the gas company that if they quit that they won't have to employ the workforce, carry the insurance, etc. and that just hiring you would save them thousands annually. The GM of our gas company visits our shop occasionally, they are people too. Chances are if you talk to him (the GM of your company or CFO)he will listen, but have a nice presentation with lots of numbers ready.

[Edited by i_got_ideas on 06-14-2004 at 07:14 PM]
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Get this. The guy called me back wanted me to check a/c, please he says, Gas Co. didnt even open the unit up, heard compressor and said its gone replace it. I went there today, and found the ual run cap ruptured slightly, compressor sounded locked up. I get a new dual run cap from truck, (oh compressor humming, condenser fan not running) put it in, and unit started no problems, I also replced the contactor some oil dripped from cap on contacts of contactor. Charged the guy just under few hundred. Guy left me the key at the management office (trusting says they reffered me) now hes happy as hell, says hes contacting management co. and getting up at next board meeting, also a letter out to the 400 condos, and wants me on the contracors list to call (which I already am). Hes calling Gas Co. to get $$$ back. And give them a pc. of his mind! This is the fourth time I have run into a situation like this involving Gas Co.

They area power house monolopy here and they get to advertise there maintenance contracts or worryfree serviice as they call it in their utility bills
    and they are branching out into warrantying appliances too---they have pay a monthly fee for their service contract and they only charge for parts labor is covered like an inside wiring plan by the phone company of course every part is marked up like 10 x the cost cause I have seen one of their charges for parts only. I tried to screw them once they wanted $----for a contactor offered to sell it to their customer about 80% less but when she called them they would not put it in cause they were only alowed to install parts prchased from them and told her i was probably not quoting an oem part like they would put in I got the job and made more than i normally charge for a contactor changeout.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Time to open up a deep pocket law suit against these big boys.

or an anti-trust like microsoft having their browser on all the operating systems unfair advantage ...I mean i can't get my flier in with their gas bill.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

The utility co. attempted takeover of hvac here came and went also.

Same m.o. they use everywhere. They come in selling dirt cheap svc contracts, to kill off the competition. They lose lots of money doing it, but are able to cook the books and subsidize their losses from the sale of energy. Hidden energy rate increases usually occur. Then after they have a stronghold on the svc contract mkt, they raise the contract prices. Service and install quality is always very poor. Services include: Appliance repair, plumbing, electrical, hvac.

But then along came the Enron scandal and they ran scared and sold this operation and the 10 others across the country admitting that they'd lost 26 million bucks.

Contractor class action suits across the country proved ineffective, except for Colorado, where a judge ruled that there had to be a level playing field, so no loss subsidies by the sale of energy.

This whole debacle was what prompted Lennox to create Service Experts. They figured that if the utilities controlled the market and didn't buy Lennox, they would be in trouble.

Get this, guys! The guy with the 4-vacant apts. called this morning, he said the guy he sold me down the river with, is a hack, the owner said he went there yesterday to check out the new guy, he said hes a hack. He didnt tell me right off thou, he calls and says I want you to replace the 3-ton a/h thats been gone for 6-months (sheetrock ceiling has to come down, need lift a/h is 12-15 ft. off the floor above ceiling, the tenants moved out months ago, so now he has it rented as of July 1st. I told him I was up on the roof last week, and I saw that he had the replacement done by a hack, and I only want loyal customers, he says please to come back, he also has a 3-ton h.p. on roof needing replacement, and the new Bryant h.p. undersized, lots of oil on bottom of unit, and a ton on his braze connections, his diconnect is still just laying on the rubber roof cutting into it. The maintenance man there, and sales woman said to me that the guy was terrible. He couldnt figure out how to wire it, and in front of tenants was swearing like crazy, saying I dont have time for this sh*t, and he failed to show twice, so Iam back in, but I told the owner it happens again dont call me back, and I will return the master key, and be done with him. Another good one along with the Gas Co. one! Alot of hacks out there!