Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    McDonald's grills and fryers are the foundation to their business.
    If you decide to begin servicing food equipment in McDonald's, some training will open some doors for you. Their equipment can be intimidating to work on with all of the electronics designs incorporated to "dummy proof" their cooking operations.

Most of my McDonald's use Garland grills. Training I received to perform their annual grill recertifications was the roving course set up through local authorized service companies. My company hosted them several times. It was a day long course and is required to do the recerts. on the grills. Very good operational theory for troubleshooting too.

I don't touch their Taylor equipment. Can't get any support if not their authorized service provider and training is a MUST to become that. My company just never opened that door.

Frymasters dominate most McDonald's spaces with more than just their fryers. Yet, Pitco and even Henny Penny FRYERS can be found out there.

Frymaster's training course in Shreveport LA was a very comprehensive, week long course eight years ago. It covered ALL the McDonald's stuff and their NON-McDonald's models as well as their Dean fryers and the Varimixer. I've also been to their roving classes, so they're out there. Length of those courses varied. Frymaster's tech support is ranked among the best that I deal with.

Frymaster's LOV fryer, which are slowly moving into McDonald's stores, offers some challenges. I personally need some refresher training on those since I haven't touched one yet. More electronics engineered into them for the oil management system.

Never touched their Henny Penny's, but the Pitco are the PITA to work on. They have some convoluted electrical/electronic operational designs. Seemed funny to me that Pitco toted their SOLSTICE fryers as the technician's dream when entering the market ten years ago. Now, with all the accessories added, they can be a real head-scratcher on replacing some of their parts. Their tech support is good too, but at times NOT as good as Frymaster. Not sure about availability of training for those or the Henny Pennys.

In any case about availability of training, some if not all of their websites will have information on finding training or getting it set up in your area. Might take some phone calling around.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Quote Originally Posted by RuudInstaller View Post
    Some of the ones we do still have A.D.A., John Zink, and Sunbeam units too. Oh yeah and don't forget McCann's, Honeywell, White Rodgers, Penn Ventilator, and Greenheck
    I haven't had to deal with A.D.A. or Sunbeam for some time now. As I recall they were very similar....same company?

AMANA isn't mentioned. Every MCD's I've worked in have only that brand microwave.

You'll hear them called "Quing" (sp?) ovens. Those things are included as their primary cooking equipment alongside the fryers, grills, convection ovens and toasters. Without a quing oven, they can't cook much of their breakfast menu.

Some testament they'd made years ago about not being a restaurant that would dare use such a device as a "microwave oven" to remain a step above the competition.

They don't. Those quing ovens were made especially for them. All the same components as a microwave, but no properly trained and duly dedicated McD's manager will call it a microwave.

Allotta techs find them intimidating. They're not that bad. The most important things to remember as a tech are the proper safety precautions to learn & observe so you don't get bitten by the high voltages that operate the magnetrons. The theory of operation can be easily learned.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    AMANA isn't mentioned. Every MCD's I've worked in have only that brand microwave.

You'll hear them called "Quing" (sp?) ovens. Those things are included as their primary cooking equipment alongside the fryers, grills, convection ovens and toasters. Without a quing oven, they can't cook much of their breakfast menu.

Some testament they'd made years ago about not being a restaurant that would dare use such a device as a "microwave oven" to remain a step above the competition.

They don't. Those quing ovens were made especially for them. All the same components as a microwave, but no properly trained and duly dedicated McD's manager will call it a microwave.

Allotta techs find them intimidating. They're not that bad. The most important things to remember as a tech are the proper safety precautions to learn & observe so you don't get bitten by the high voltages that operate the magnetrons. The theory of operation can be easily learned.
    EC,
    Have replaced many of MAG TUBES on nukers. They just seem to get cheaper and cheaper. Some don't make it one year. Must be bored employees running them with nothing inside. Add interlocks to the list of failed components. Once again employees slamming the door.

Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post

Can't believe I forgot about those! The older 2000 and 2100 Q-ing ovens have the door frame issue.Decades of slamming! Hard to get parts for these anymore. The rectifiers burn out alot. Not a big issue to repair them providing parts are available.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123