Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leak Detector

Leak Detector

Anybody have any idea on what the best leak detector is out on the market today? I still use my old GE H10 but it is getting old and was planning on purchasing a new one this week. Is a Detech anygood?

love my tif zx-1, long battery life and accurate, old cps back-up still works great after 10 years. Use my ultrasonic first and usually find them w/ it. Had a d-tek and was not happy w/ performance (replaced sensor then redesigned tip) still with no positive improvement.

I had an original D-Tek which worked OK. It didn't seem to like R404A much though as the sensor would tend to burn up with high doses.

I replaced it with the D-Tek Select which has performed and held up much better, but I've found that I can't rely on it 100% of the time. I've had times where I know there's a leak in a certain area and the D-Tek Select will pass right on by with nary a peep.

It's then I grab my old H-10PM.

I get frustrated with the battery capacity on the D-Tek and the fact that you can't run on the A/C adapter when the battery dies. I got the heavy duty charger for the H-10PM and can run on either the battery or 115V.

I think if I do get another hand-held it'll probably be the Tif ZX-1 as I've heard a lot of good reports on them.

I have to second the H-10PM.

I have found leaks with that machine that other detectors have walked right past without a blip.

The way I understand the D-Tek Select works (...and I may be wrong) is that it doesn't respond to the mere presence of refrigerant, rather it responds to a change in concentration of refrigerant whereas the H-10 actually senses the refrigerant's presence. (Someone please correct me if this is incorrect.)

Therefore, when checking for leaks with a D-Tek Select, if there is a rather high concentration of refrigerant already in the general area you are checking, the device's true sensitivity will be greatly diminished because it's actually detecting the difference in the refrigerant concentration in the leak sample to the ambient air's refrigerant concentration.

I think this is why the D-Tek appears to "auto-adjust" its sensitivity to the surroundings.

The H-10 doesn't do that. In fact, if there is a high concentration of refrigerant in the air it's impossible to use an H-10 effectively and you're likely to trash your sensor if you try.

Talking hey

so which detector is better h-10 or tif??????????????

Had a tif zx1 for 5 yrs and have found hundreds of leaks. It is one of the best investments I made and have never put a dime in it since. The bat. and sensor is still strong. The only thing I found is that when it is not in use if you leave the battery in, it will be drained. I take mine out and have put it in after a month of not using it and it works just fine. The batteries are great.

Cool HEY

OH YEHHHHHHHH HOW MUCH THAT SNIFFER COST THAT TIF???

You will be disapointed with the Dteck. I was.

I personaly use the ZX-1. My only complaint is it is way too sensitive with
    R-22.

Since this thread is about comparing leak detectors, I thought it appropriate to post a link to a series of video comparisons that our own MechAcc did recently. Here's the link to its location in the Educational Forums:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=442932

For those Regular members who can't access the Educational Forums, here's the direct You Tube links:

R410A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0mwn...eature=channel

R134A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMf_m...eature=channel

R22 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzkC5...eature=channel

Quote Originally Posted by cold spell View Post
    You will be disapointed with the Dteck. I was.
    R-22.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

For the guys that think the ZX-1 is too sensitive In high concentrated areas you need to hit the zero button when it takes off. Keep doing it and you'll find the leak no problem and love the detector even more.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast