Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane MP581 Keeps loosing its program

We have a Trane MP581 that Keeps loosing its program. Is there something that can be done to stop this?

Thanks, Chet
    Life is too short not to enjoy life to the fullest - Don't be bogged down dealing with difficult people -who try to inflict their problems in life onto you or other good people...

"Instead return the mutual respect to the good people who respect you - Forget about the one's who won't" .....what Chet lives by.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chet1508 View Post
    We have a Trane MP581 that Keeps loosing its program. Is there something that can be done to stop this?

Thanks, Chet
    Replace it.

Seems obvious that the controller was defective from the get-go.

You should pursue/demand a free replacement from the distributor. Replacement should include: controller, all programming, reimbursement for your time and trips, and punitive compensation for the owner's discomfort.

No doubt there is some conspiracy or sabotage involved.

If it loses the program when it is run I would agree to replacement it. If it do not write to eprom and use a battery an loses program when power is intemititanly then you should check for a dead battery. I would guess if eprom then also replacemented would be aproprienated action too.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuperTech View Post
    If it loses the program when it is run I would agree to replacement it. If it do not write to eprom and use a battery an loses program when power is intemititanly then you should check for a dead battery. I would guess if eprom then also replacemented would be aproprienated action too.
    No replaceable parts on the 580.

By lose it program to you mean you download a bunch of tgp and then its magically blank again? Or does it just stop responding until you cycle power? What exactly do you have to do each time to get it back running?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuperTech View Post
    I am new at using rover to programming with so please for give my simple questions. I did not know it wasn't automatically writing to the eprom. How do you determine you are writing to the eprom and not to battery powered memory.

I tried to find the service manual on Trane.com site but, couldn't find it, if you have a copy could you please email it to me and any other pertinent information that you don't mind sending; it will be greatly appreciated

Respectfully submitted, Chet
    Life is too short not to enjoy life to the fullest - Don't be bogged down dealing with difficult people -who try to inflict their problems in life onto you or other good people...

"Instead return the mutual respect to the good people who respect you - Forget about the one's who won't" .....what Chet lives by.....

What is rover? I am talk generalistly. scrooloose maybe can help with specifficsly. He sound like he work on the system.

scrooloose

Its the first one, I download a bunch of tgp and then its magically blank again

Thanks Chet

Quote Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
    No replaceable parts on the 580.

By lose it program to you mean you download a bunch of tgp and then its magically blank again? Or does it just stop responding until you cycle power? What exactly do you have to do each time to get it back running?

Could be a defective controller, but there was also a firmware upgrade that addressed these sorts of issues.

I have seen these kinds of issues when there are power fluctuations / outages.

For instance, there is a school district here in the Cleveland area that had the same issue with only 1 MP580 controller. Any time there was a Brownout/Sag in the line it would lose programming. And this place always had some kind of power issue like 2-3 times a month. (And still does).

We replaced the 580 and the same damn thing kept happening.

As it turned out the issue was less in the power itself and more of a grounding issue. We ended up driving an 8 foot copper pole into the ground outside the mechanical room and running it through the wall to the MP580 enclosure. 3 years later we have not lost the program once after that.

The weird thing again was that it was only on one unit and not on every one in the district. But like I said it definatly solved the issue.

So I'm not saying go out and pound a copper rod into the ground, but make sure that you have a very solid ground. We didn't and we wasted a lot of man hours dropping programming back into the controller, man hours on site, replacing the 580, ect.

The newer terminal strip card has resistors on it that are supposed to help with voltage spike and brown-out conditions as well.

Could some one please email me the Firmware upgrades that are suppose to fix these problems with the MP580. My email is in my profile

Thank you in advance, Chet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast