Cooling Tower Question

I have a customer who has what used to be a four cell cooling tower. The 2 combination cells are so rusted out and decrepit that you don't what to climb on top for fear of falling through the hot deck. Even the frame work is rusting away. Plates have been welded on to reinforce the pillow block bearing mounting. We have tried and replaced the belt adjustment mechanisms. Now for the road blocks. The tower is 4 floors up on top of a parking garage and there are structures all around it blocking crane access. I am not concerned about the demolition part, let it crumble. My thoughts are trying to get the new structure up on the garage. As the size of tower is going to be about 2500 tons total heat rejection we are talking about a sizable unit with significant weight. Even if we decide to go with a multi-cell, the laws of physics are working against us. My question is don't the tower manufacture's have them in a knock down form shipped to the customer to be fabricated on site ? I remember building a 600 ton Marley from what can best be described as a Gilbert Erector Set and it even had instructions and extra bolts. Is my age showing yet.-GEO

From my experience, you can order towers in any form needed to get the job done....Evapco has made some serious concessions for us in recent years and are much lighter than conventional BAC type towers...I would make some calls and see what they can work out...The draw back to Evapco's are they do take up some real estate as far as foot print...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Helicopter lift? In pieces of course.
    It might get loud!

No whirllie birds

Sorry Duke very restricted airspace and flight paths involved, but thanks for the response anyway. GT Jets That is kind of what I was thinking. I don't know what Marley has to offer in that kind of package. I know they have smaller units that are knock down and built on site. I can do it in two stages as the two combination cells are isolation capable, it just that my customer has to quit shoveling money for patch work on a dead issue. The weather will be turning HOT real soon here in Houston.

Marley will supply the tower not assembled if asked.

I have done this before, and had the rep. Price is having Marley reps crew assemble on the job site for us.
    Saved a lot of headache.

I know that Marley will package their tower in pieces. They should be able to give you component sizes so you can figure how best to get them to the roof. I am not sure if Marley feild assembles their smaller towers. I know they do their own field erection and repair on the big stuff. They should be more than happy to work with you on the details to the point of a site visit to help you out.

If you're on a flight path the crane could be a problem. The crane people should take care of the issue by contacting the airport.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Marley and all the others replace them from breakdown shipped in big market here in NYC http://spxcooling.com/en/products/de...cooling-tower/
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Most reputable Crane companies have cranes or contract with other companies that can accomodate any lift, before making the decision that it cant be done, call a couple of the more reputable companies and let them come and look at the job out and make the final decision, as far as air space goes, if they want the job they will work it out with airport or military in the area, thats what they do. Ive done many lifts that were in the flight path airports and military bases, including heli lifts. Thats why the crane company makes the big bucks. Good luck..
    If I would of killed my wife when I first met her, I'd be out of jail by now!

GET SOME!!