Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bastian Blessing

ever here of this company ? Out of Grandhaven Michigan. Looking for a small condensing unit for a Pizza Hut salad bar. Only thing left of the unit is a piece of a I.D. tag. Did recover model & serial #'s.

Thanks for any help.

I haven't seen or heard that name in a while. I looked in the rhs book where I know I had seen a section for that brand, but it wasn't listed. I'm guessing they are out of business. I guess you googled the name and found nothing.

They used to build soda fountains in Chicago on Saugenash (sp,) Ave. back in the late 50s and early 60s. Must be a real antique,,,,,,
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Quote Originally Posted by uniservice View Post
    They used to build soda fountains in Chicago on Saugenash (sp,) Ave. back in the late 50s and early 60s. Must be a real antique,,,,,,
    Model # pho47d001a Serial # 84-3788 so I'm guessing 1984. Old enough. I personally never here the name. When i Google it i do get some history. Did say they made refrigerated cases as well as soda fountains.

This is a cold well for a salad bar and i have no way of sizing a condenser unit. I guess i could just make a science project out of it but would not want to at my customers expanse.

I am orig. from the Grand Haven area and my grandpa worked for them. They have been out of business for at least 20 years if not more.

All you need to find out the size is the compressor model number.

I did some checking of typical salad bar units and found that the refrigeration requirement to be approximately 260 Btuh/Sq ft @ +15F for a cold wall design with 4" deep pans. That appears to be in line with the salad bars I've seen in the past. It should get you pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I did some checking of typical salad bar units and found that the refrigeration requirement to be approximately 260 Btuh/Sq ft @ +15F for a cold wall design with 4" deep pans. That appears to be in line with the salad bars I've seen in the past. It should get you pretty close.
    Thanks icemeister,
    That is a good start. Would i figure bottom and walls for Sq ft. Two suction lines come out of same end at opposite corners and tee together. Cap tube system using R12 originally. Some one took out the condensing unit and left me with a small bit of info. Low pressure switch is still there. Probably used as temp control.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Thanks icemeister,
    That is a good start. Would i figure bottom and walls for Sq ft. Two suction lines come out of same end at opposite corners and tee together. Cap tube system using R12 originally. Some one took out the condensing unit and left me with a small bit of info. Low pressure switch is still there. Probably used as temp control.
    It's the area of the top opening for the pans.

Replace the cap tube(s) with one matched to the new unit and refrigerant that you select...or better yet convert to a TEV.

Lightbulb

It's the area of the top opening for the pans.

Replace the cap tube(s) with one matched to the new unit and refrigerant that you select...or better yet convert to a TEV.
    Ice,
    I was diging thru my used c/u pile and came across this unit. Customer has no money. Go figure right ? Anyway Copeland # JRE1-0033-IAA Performance shows Evap. @ 20* & Cond. @120* Capacity 2195 BTU'S. Well is 2'x4' or 8sq.ft. X 260 BTU's per sq.ft. = 2080 total BTU's . Just a little concerned about that SST. Any ideas ?
    Thanks Much,
    VTP

That looks like it should work OK, especially if the salad bar will be in an air-conditioned space. That 120F condensing temperature rating is typical for a 90F ambient, so I'd feel comfy with that unit.

Of course, we're doing a lot of educated guessing here too....so as long as the customer understands you're doing your best with what you have to work with I'd say go for it.

That looks like it should work OK, especially if the salad bar will be in an air-conditioned space. That 120F condensing temperature rating is typical for a 90F ambient, so I'd feel comfy with that unit.

Of course, we're doing a lot of educated guessing here too....so as long as the customer understands you're doing your best with what you have to work with I'd say go for it.
    Thank you for your time and thinking.
    I'm thinking Q body TXV w/ RED orifice cartridge & FC charge element. MP39 or Hot Shot. Is it possible to get the SST down around 15* as you originally suggested ? The performance stops at 20* per Copeland web site.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Thank you for your time and thinking.
    I'm thinking Q body TXV w/ RED orifice cartridge & FC charge element. MP39 or Hot Shot. Is it possible to get the SST down around 15* as you originally suggested ? The performance stops at 20* per Copeland web site.
    When you fire up this system the pressures will balance out to where the compressor capacity balances the evaporator load...wherever that may be. It should be somewhat close to where we want it to be (if my evaporator load estimate info was good. )

The JRE is obsolete so Copeland doesn't show the performance tables online any more, but their Compressor Performance Calculator indicates that at 15F SST, 120F SCT and 0F LSC with R12 this little puppy will do 2040 Btuh.

Not to worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast