4 Valve manifold is too heavy...

I like the idea of the 4 valve manifold because you don't have to remove a hose to switch from evac to charging. I worry about the vac being lost or compromised at that point.

I have a JB Hindenburg 4 valve manifold with big vac line but it is so heavy and cumbersome. I would like to get rid of it and use a YJ 41 brass 2 valve unit. (My favourite gauge set is the brass yj 41232 with the class 1 brass gauges.) It is light weight and feels and looks right. But I am still worried about that hose change. Even if you have ball valves on the hose, there is still a part of the fitting that is exposed to atmosphere when the valve is closed. I like the idea of evacuating the charging hose before putting freon in it, like you can do with the 4 valve. Of course you can purge the air out of the yellow hose by removing it from the manifold and filling it with freon, but then you still have the little space inside the manifold that didn't get purged, and was exposed to air when the yellow hose was removed for purging. Then when you start to charge, all the air that got in the manifold will be forced into the system! a 4 valve would fix these problems but I am wondering if there is a way to do it with the 2 valve.

I had one idea for the 2 valve manifold, which was to run the yellow hose to the vac pump with a tee fitting on the vac pump, with the branch fitting of the tee attached to a hose going to the freon tank. That way you could evac the freon charging hose. You would have 4 valves then, except one of them would be on the freon tank and one on the vac pump. Is this a good idea? Am I worrying for nothing? Is there a better way to use a 2 valve manifold? Does anyone use 2 valve manifolds who can tell me a better way to accomplish a setup that will not allow any atmosphere to get into any of the hoses or the system? Or is there some problem with my idea, and I am just going to have to lug that Hindenburg around until I can get one of Doug's paradigm manifolds. I would like to get this figured out because I can still return the hindenburg to johnstones as I haven't used it yet. I read that JB brass manifolds can be outfitted with 3/8 vacuum line ports and used with 3/8 line for the yellow line to increase flow to the level of their hindenburg manifold. I might rather have one of those but I haven't tried them. Could always put the yj class 1 brass gauges on that.

whichever manifold I use, I still use appion core removers with shutoff valves on the high and low side access ports, and I close them to check if the system holds vacuum. Micron gauge on the side fitting of the core remover with a stainless hose.

So I don't have to worry about my hoses absorbing atmosphere when I am testing for leaks and moisture, because the hoses aren't in play during the test. I would like to be able to start charging the system without compromising this wonderful vacuum that I spent all this effort creating.

Any ideas or input is appreciated.

Oh sorry...they call the jb 4 valve the Zeppelin, not the Hindenburg. sorry about that. wrong blimp. It does look just like the hindenburg though.

Check out the 2010 J/B catalog for the New M4
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Thumbs up

I instaled a swivel T at the manifold so that I have a 4 hose system when doing vaccum then can charge without changing hoses. I also have a ball valve hose that I hookup to the swivel T so that I don`t charge any gas into my vaccum line.
    Last edited by leif savage; 04-30-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo`s

4 valves manifolds are more convenient but you can do the same thing possibly better with some bigger hoses, fittings and no manifold at all for charging and vacuum.

The OP seems odd to me like you know the answer before you post.
    And why you would you buy something that you felt was too heavy. Did you not pull it from the shelf at Johnstone ?
    The internet has become a strange place.
    Reader beware I guess.

That JB 4 valve brass manifold looks pretty good. Has anyone used it? I wonder how heavy it is. It is not in the store and the catalog says nothing about weight. It could weigh more than the aluminum one I guess.

when I was at the store the thing was in a big box and I was holding it with 2 hands. when I got home put it together I realized there is no real good way to hold it and if you hold it by the hook it feels excessively heavy. Then I put it next to my 41 manifold and I realized how big and heavy the thing was.

The reason I ask is because I thought someone else might have a better idea, or they might know some reason why my idea was bad...ie some types of fittings don't hold vacuum well enough etc. Or perhaps someone had tried my idea already thinking it was going to work, and then after trying it noticed that there was some other problem that they hadn't thought about. They could then tell me about that and save me from making the same mistake.

As far as me being odd...

You hit that one dead on. I am very odd indeed.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I did read this forum for a long time and did many searches before posting anything. My intent is not to waste anyone's time, but rather to gain some insight about other peoples experiences. I am rather new to this business and I did not have the benefit of a school to teach me. I learned what I know with books and experience. I just thought everyone on a forum like this probably has thousands of years of combined experience, and I would have to live many lifetimes before I could gain that level of wisdom, so easier just to post a question.

You don't sound like a newbie to me and there are many threads right here in the tools forum about pulling a vacuum properly.
    No need for a search just scroll down through the threads you missed while lurking "for a long time"
    Still makes no sense other than you wanting to bash J/B for something

no ulterior motives. no bashing intended. that is a waste of time. when threads turn to that juvenile stuff I stop reading. If I wanted to bash JB I'd say JB sucks. You are thinking too far into this. It was a technical question. No need to read between the lines. It isn't metaphysics.

Do you think my idea is good?? What kind of manifold do you use?

I am rather intelligent, but I have been known to miss things and make mistakes. I thought people would either agree with me or tell me why my idea is wrong. Or maybe suggest a third idea that is better. I have read a lot of books, but sometimes the real world is different than textbooks. Then you have the problem of companies trying so hard to sell their wares that they say other's goods are inferior. When it may not be the case.

4 valve manifolds are gonna be heavy, it's the nature of the beast. The weight shouldn't matter. How many other heavy things do we carry on a day to day basis.

absolute0 your idea works just fine.
    I've done it many times.
    How many ports do you have on your pump ?
    You can use more than one.
    With the two core removers with side take offs you can hook two Vacuum Hoses direct to your pump on the ball valved ports of the core removers.
    You can Tee in a micron gauge with shut off valve in line with a two valve manifold hooked to a tank of refer on the side access valves of the core removers.

Get 3 valve and use a vacuum manifold.
    I use this. But i have C&D schrader removers. And a single valve manifold.
    http://www.yellowjacket.com/HVACRPro...&l=2&c=17&p=58

I have the schraders removed from the side take offs and i have to ball valves that I put there. Using 1 for micron and the other for nitro and to pull a vacuum in my charging manifold.

I dont even use my 4 valve anymore. Well i do but i dont have the 4th hose on it anymore. lol I dont pull a vacuum through my charging manifold. Yea the lil vacuum maninfold kit costs a couple bucks but i prefer it to using my charging manifold to pull a vacuum.