+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Union Problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    I work in a sheetmetal shop. We do fabrication, and are under contract with the International Machinist Union. Membership where I work is voluntary, but the contract treats members and non-members the same (same pay, benefits, etc.) The contract will be up on the 30th, and tensions are very high in the shop. There is like an invisible line between the members and others, and bad blood towards each other.

The union held a meeting today, and voted to go on strike as of July 1st if a contract cannot be negotiated.

I hate to say it, but I am not looking forward to going to work tommorow. Maybe it's time for that career change that I've been going to school for. Maybe I should just wait it out.

What do you guys think?

Post Likes
    I would say you are going to either want to stay away from the shop while the union guys are on strike or quickly join the union. If you continue to work when the union guys are on strike there will definitly be bad blood between you and them during and after the strike ends. Is the owner a union man?
    This is a good example of why its not a good idea to maintain a split shop.

Post Likes
    Since you are non-union the company will probably fire you for not showing up.

Post Likes
    Unions

What a mess....

Post Likes
    so........some people will strike while others will not?? but when it is settled they all will be paid the same??? so you are saying that you and the union guys do the same job....layout, forming ,welding ,etc...and you get paid the same??? are you a "helper",driver????
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    I wonder why the union is allowing double breasting no pun intended. You are truly in a delicate position no question about that. this situation shouldnt exist you should all be in the union or not in the union in the same shop. this is extremely unfair on you and you shouldn't be in this position. Can you talk to the union rep to see what their position is? can you talk to the company to see what their position is? I don't think there is an easy solution here
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Join The Union fight.

Post Likes
    I am in the in union. I just wish that there was some way to ease the tensions in the shop. The union isn't asking for much, about 35 cents an hour for about 40 people. Yes we all do the same jobs. It makes for an interesting workplace.

Post Likes
    If only Hoffa was here, he would know what to do.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Post Likes
    well if you are in the union don't cross that line.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    The tension will be there until things are settled, which is understandable since livlyhoods are at stake.
    The best thing is to stay true to the union and only discuss union issues with fellow union members.
    The closer the guys atay in the shop the quicker the company will settle.

Best of luck,

Post Likes
    Sounds like a "Right to Work" State where everyone in the shop makes the same money and has the same deductions. When the union strikes the non-union guys continue to work. When the union and the company agree on the contract the non-union guys still get all the pay and benefits. Really sounds fair, we all have a right to employment and if the guys don't want to join the union the shouldn't be forced to, this isn't the old USSR this is America the land of FREEDOMS! If you're a union member, don't even think of crossing the line, if you're not, a paycheck is still a paycheck. Regardless of all the union hall rhetoric we all have an inherent freedom of choice gauranteed by our Constitution and defended to death by the non-union men and women of our armed forces.

Post Likes
    I relay do not think you should be bringing the great men and women of the armed forces into this as many of those men and women are union people and many that have died are union.
    They are fighting for democracy and freedom and the right for others to be unionized.

You should look into unions and you will find that day to day the union movement is protecting the democracy that gives you the right to decide weather or not you want ot be union. This is done by lobbying the Government.

Post Likes
    Don't know about you, I served 10 years in th Army My oldest son served 4 in the Navy, my yougest son is finishing his 6 in the Army, my father and his brother both served in WW2 and both my grandfathers served in the Army. I have an extreme personal interest in the very values and beliefs that my family has fought for for so many generations. One of which is the freedom of choice. The unions have helped build this country's workplace and in the same stroke created some of the worse corruption ever seen. Let's deal in historical facts not rhetoric. Fact, the unions have been on a steady decline for the past few decades, it's called evolution. Yes the unions do represent a minority of the American workers and union members do get fair pay and benefits, but the reality of it is that despite what the union may have you believe, there is a very large segment of the American workforce out here that does not work union and does make very good money and gets a very good benefit package. That's how so many companies keep the unions out, by taking care of the workers. My father's father worked union for over 20 years before the Depression hit. After which he never went back to the union again and instilled in his son's and myself that we didn't need a union to "represent" us. This from a man that watched friends, neighbors and coworkers get beaten by the company goons for union organizing. There was a time in this country when a worker needed the unions to keep from being treated unfairly, now a competent worker with a brain can look out for himself and his family and live a very comfortable life. No the unions never have and never will represent me and all thier lobbying in Congress is not for my benefit or the benefit of the masses of American workers, it's for the benefit of the union and only the union.

Post Likes
    I have heard different things about unions. In Texas, if a company gets stuck with a union, then they probably deserve it. I don't agree with what the union is doing now, threatening to strike during the busiest time of the year.

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by coolestacman
    I relay do not think you should be bringing the great men and women of the armed forces into this as many of those men and women are union people and many that have died are union.
    They are fighting for democracy and freedom and the right for others to be unionized.

You should look into unions and you will find that day to day the union movement is protecting the democracy that gives you the right to decide weather or not you want ot be union. This is done by lobbying the Government.
    I'm proud, I'm trained, I'm not union...

Post Likes
    Freedom and choice, choose the union and you have neither. once the deed is done and you go union they become your agent in all walks of life. the union tells you when and who to vote, the union OWNS you, without your vote the union dies, when you sign the card you lose the right to sue.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Post Likes

Hmm

Originally posted by secorp
    Freedom and choice, choose the union and you have neither. once the deed is done and you go union they become your agent in all walks of life. the union tells you when and who to vote, the union OWNS you, without your vote the union dies, when you sign the card you lose the right to sue.

"you lose the right to sue"!

Sue, Sue, Sue!!! Who do you want to sue? This is one of the reasons for union. They help to ensure that places of employment adhere to the laws and codes of each state. Which in turn helps in preventing accidents, and therefore helps to keep all those greedy lawyers unemployed.
    People need to stop looking for the easy way out and earn their money the american way. WORK FOR IT!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by coolestacman
    Join The Union fight.

Im probably going to piss some people off with this one.

But, I'm going to say peace about the International Machinists Union. When I was 10 years old my Dad didn't come home from work because of a boiler that was faulty from the manufacturer. So, my Mom is looking for people she trust. My Grandfather and my Uncle were both hardcore Millwrights. My other Uncle was (and still is) hardcore IBEW. They said, trust the Union. So, the union Reps. talk to her and say you have the grounds to sue the manufacturer. We have a "good lawyer". They just forgot to mention what good meant. Turns out good meant good and in their pocket. The lawyer advised her to settle for a piss ant amount. Unfortunately, she was young and didn't know any better. So, all you union guys keep paying your dues letting your Reps. live the high life off your work. When you go to work rest assured that if something happens while your there that your union friends will be there to help your family in the end. Because that is where they will get it. IN THE END!! Hey Rookie, Tell the International Machinists Union they can kiss my ass!!

Eric

Post Likes
    Originally posted by secorp
    Funny, I don't remember them being in the voting booth with me.

Nobody owns me. If you can't think for yourself, don't blame the union.

Oh sorry honey I forgot.

[Edited by frozensolid on 06-12-2004 at 09:55 AM]
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in