+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Comp for reach-in no info

Post Likes

Hmm

I am an HVAC tech I have never worked on coolers. A friend of mine got a small reach-in cooler and it seems that the compressor may be bad. There is no nameplate on the cooler anywhere. All I could find was a plate on the compressor and it reads as follows:

AJ311 BJ-424
    G B22 82C 95300 AJ6435A
    V115 Hz 60 LRA 38.2
    v110 Hz 50 PH1

It is a small unit I don't think the LRA is 38.2 but that is what it looked like. Anyway what brand, Hp, refrigerant type would this be most likely R-12 I figure but what about the rest?

Post Likes
    Take those #'s to a supply house that sells Techumseh Compressors. They will help. And yes the LRA is 38 amps if you wrote the #'s down right.

Post Likes
    It's medium temp, normal starting torque, 3500 btu's at a +20º evaporator, R-12. At http://www.tecumseh.com you can look up this stuff for yourself. You can also download/print a Tecumseh Compressor Service Manual or, alternatively, call them and they'll send you one for free.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mikeymorehead
    I am an HVAC tech I have never worked on coolers. A friend of mine got a small reach-in cooler and it seems that the compressor may be bad. There is no nameplate on the cooler anywhere. All I could find was a plate on the compressor and it reads as follows:

AJ311 BJ-424
    G B22 82C 95300 AJ6435A
    V115 Hz 60 LRA 38.2
    v110 Hz 50 PH1

It is a small unit I don't think the LRA is 38.2 but that is what it looked like. Anyway what brand, Hp, refrigerant type would this be most likely R-12 I figure but what about the rest?
    The replacement compressor is Mod# AKA9434AXA B/M# AK159AT-038-J7. Your local wholesaler should have them in stock.

Post Likes
    LRA (38.2)7=5.4amp

Post Likes
    You say the unit may be bad.

What has been done thus far to determine what condition the unit is really in?

Do you have an "Annie" Hermetic anyliser? Are you familiar with the clip cord jump start method?

Has anyone ohmed out the compressor?

If ya got ohms, you got one of two things.... either bad starting components; relay, capacitor. Or you got a mechanically locked up compressor.

Cause if you got ohms, you have already ruled out open windings and ground shorted windings.

Also make real sure your voltage at the unit is high enough to start the compressor. Extension cords are NOT good for itty bitty units.

Post Likes

Thanks for help

Thanks for all of the help guys. I've looked it up also and will also check it out. Comp. has hard-start kit on it. I'll check it then the windings.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in