What all goes wrong with these ganged clocks inside markets?

I got several that are set up defrosting FF linesup in the middle of the day! Now what's that all about?

Is someone crazy? Why would anyone set up a defrost in the middle of the day in a market?

These clocks, I had one NOT going into cycle this last week. It would simply not trip the thingy ma bob.
    So I simply replaced the module. Problem ended.

What tricks do ya'll use for tecting your termination klixons? I mean for positioning on the coils themselves as well as how they shut off the heaters.
    Is there one position that is better than another position for the klixons?

Thanks

R12...some models of cases require diff defrost times and durations....at our stores it is normal for the cases to defrost during the day....twice sometimes...

As far as Klixon positons......most of the time..I have found they are pretty much foolproof.....haven't had to replace one yet....I have asked the senior guys this same question and they haven't replaced any in a long while...

I have however replaced numerous 8145's.......

I put them on one of the top loops on the coil (Heat rises). Each of your gang clock components that have termination, should have a little solenoid plunger on it (in the back). When the clixon closes the solenoid energizes and defrost terminates.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Thanks.

When the gang clock is hard to turn by hand, is it one of the modules themselves or is it the gear assembly in the motor drive?

Could be either or both. How are you trying to turn them? What Brand of clock?
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

tyler "thinga magiggie's" seem to fail on the rack panel. what do you call that? A CAM????? I dunno myself!!~ There must be a better design!

on the paragon motor type.. I found that some times when trying to diagnose them, turning them by hand is the WORST thing you can do, because you can "free" them up. They will work 'till the next time it comes 'round to that spot.
    I always mark the inner and outer wheel with one line first, then give it 5 minutes and see if moves.....

If I may add...Different manufacturers have different positioning for klixons.
    There are also different klixons that do diff. things.

Fan delay , def. term , heater limit , lighting... an older Tyler case would have all of these inches apart all with black wires... very pretty.

Hill will put one in the very middle of the coil ,(purple and orange wires very fancy)...gotta love that.

As far as setting defrost in the middle of the day , If the store closes and everyone goes home at night , I think that's better.
    I think most failures seem to happen after a defrost.

Otherwise there must be some other reason. Most manufacturers even specify late night defrosts.
    Most reach ins usually should only have one a day also.

Oh yes , if a system is iced up , don't touch anything. Grab a pen and gently mark the clock and go get a chocolate milk.
    Drink the milk slowly , then burb once or twice.

Then check back on your clock and see if it moved.
    Also rotate it to defrost time and let it kick itself into defrost. Sometimes it will skip def if the motor rotates it but will catch if you rotate it. I've seen this plenty o' times.

The Paragon clocks are pron to wear cuz they are all plastic. Like others have said, some times they go in real nice when you advance by hand, but left to themselves they will skip due to wear of the cam parts. This can be a tough one to find cuz you have to let the time run on and just watch. Be patient and enjoy the chocolate milk.

Also do not try to gang more than 8 modules to one motor. I know Paragon sez it can be done, but as the modulse wear the slop will cause the end modules to be off in time.

Originally posted by NedFlanders
    If I may add...Different manufacturers have different positioning for klixons.
    There are also different klixons that do diff. things.

Fan delay , def. term , heater limit , lighting... an older Tyler case would have all of these inches apart all with black wires... very pretty.

Hill will put one in the very middle of the coil ,(purple and orange wires very fancy)...gotta love that.

As far as setting defrost in the middle of the day , If the store closes and everyone goes home at night , I think that's better.
    I think most failures seem to happen after a defrost.

Otherwise there must be some other reason. Most manufacturers even specify late night defrosts.
    Most reach ins usually should only have one a day also.

These are Tyler or Husman cases.

I think I got the timing down as to when and how many. But sometimes these clocks get screwed up from the time of day. This brings on defrost cycyles mid afternoon and the ice cream just dont like that!

The clocks are paragon. And yea, I usually do the wrong thing by turning them by hand when I am there diagnosing things.

ooops ... gotta stop that I guess.

I do use the mark the wheel trick now and then. So far, I just found bad modules and only one of theose. To my knowledge.

Thanks for the help so far.

It's gettin easier as I go.
    I actually look forward to gettin up in the mornings and heading to work.