+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hvac license

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Hmm

I have a unique situation. I enrolled in a vocational school in the hvac program in 1990. I completed the school and went to work for a company doing refrigeration work. Keep in mind that at this time I didn't need a license. I left that company and went to a company doing maintenance work, mostly hvac and refrigeration. This company is exempt from hvac license. I am at a point where I would like to get my journeyman license so I can broaden my range of job opportunities. The problem is that I have been doing hvac for 14 years now but it hasn't been under a master because it wasn't required. The law says in order for me to receive my license, my experience must have been under a master. The thing is that where I work it is possible that I could get a job offer from an outside company to do hvac work, but though I could do the work I have to say no brcause I dont have a license. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am in Kentucky

Post Likes
    You worked under the owners licence.
    That should qualify your time in most states.
    Not sure about Ky.
    Check with local contractor licensing bureau.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes

Hmm hvac license

I work for a company that is exempt from having a license. I can't show that I have worked under a master because there isn't one. It's one of those things where I can't get a license because I havn't worked under a master but I can't go out and work for a master because I don't have a license. Suggestions please.

Post Likes
    I'm sure the State or Local authorities have heard this many times, but with no one to verify your experience your out of luck. Why would you need a licence to work under a Master?

Post Likes
    hb, I'm in Kentucky and the way I understand the journeyman regs, you're in good shape. As long as you worked for a company doing refrigeration work you don't necessarily have to be under a master. On the form, just put the company name and get a supervisor's signature or use a supervisor for a contact. I know that's how it works for the electrician grandfathering in. I just completed a course and passed the journeyman's test. I know guys in my class that got their license from their past work experience being maintenance and not under a hvac master. Call Frankfort or go to the state website for licensing. Good luck
    Love thy neighbor and no running during tornado drills

Post Likes
    isn't there steps to get a journeyman license?? if there are im sure all your schooling and work experience count for something??

Post Likes
    Your school experience will count for 1 year of experience toward the journeyman license.

Post Likes

Work Experience

You have the basic training. Now fill out the form for Journeyman. Buy the codebook and study guide to go with it. If there is a contractor/Journeyman prep school that you can take to teach you how to take the test, spend the money!!!! If there is a problem with your work experience they will tell you, but probably won’t for they want your money. If they do, find someone that will sign off for you. He probably works with you. Good Luck! Remember a card does not make the journeyman. The journeyman makes the card.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in