A/C Not holding temp down during day. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Any recommendations in NJ?

Try looking here for someone in your area. http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Originally posted by fat bob
    Just curious, what other recommendations did he give to improve things more? I'm always looking for ways to tweak mine a little more.
    Weatherstrip on the attic doors, replace incorrect registers(wall type in ceiling), and put in more insulation. Just basic stuff that I had not noticed or not got around to doing yet.

Well, I'm back again. Not unexpected though... After Robin put the new ducting and evaporator in, the system worked suprisingly well, actually cutting my electric bill almost in half and keeping the house nice and cool in the hottest part of the summer.

A few days ago, the compressor, which had been whining for quite a while, changed its note to a loud growl. At the same time, I noticed the temp creeping up from the thermostat setpoint during the day, which had not happened since before Robin fixed everything. My first thought was that the compressor was finally calling it quits, and that I could now get my home warrantty to cover it. I called them out, and they said that I had a clogged "strainer."

The technician replaced the strainer with a filter drier last night, and the system cooled the house down over the course of the night. Compresor noise was now a low growl, without the whine either, more like what I normally hear HVAC compressors sound like. Temp creeped up again though during the day, and the growl of the compressor has once again started to get louder.

My theory is that the compressor is destroying itself and clogging the filters. If I end up having to out of pocket it again, I'll certainlly call Robin, but I'd like to use the home warranty if I can. Any tips on how to handle this? I've heard that, even if they do replace things, they try to put the cheapest units they can. I'd like to keep at least the same SEER unit I have now, which is a 12. It seem like that would be fair.

home warrantys are fun !!!!!!!!!!!!

hi wayne , sorry that we where unsuccesfull in medeating with your home warranty company i hope that they return today ( 4th july ) and replace the unit . if you do not get any releif try to negotiate a buy-out so that you can choose who replaces your unit.
    one last thing ,the warranty company was considering replacing just the compressor ,i would strongly urge that you dont go down that road .( 1 year warranty versus 10 year on a new unit )sincerely robin

Thanks, IMO, to Robin's hard work in mediating my claim, as well as his tips on how to approach matters, we got the unit replaced for a very low price, basically, cost of the short notice and disposal fee. They wound up putting a 12 SEER Ruud Zephyr in, which, though not my first choice, could have been worse. Again, kudos to Robin on pushing for a unit comparable to the old one. It, along with Robin's superbly installed Amana coil and duct work, are keeping the house cool and comfortable in the 100F heat.

I really wanted the work to go his way, not only for his very high standards of installation, but to send the business his way. Alas, it did not happen. He is coming out to inspect and correct any issues with the install, which I much appreciate. I have little faith in the present refigerant charge, among other things.

I wish I could take the high ground and just of had Robin do the work on my own nickel, but I simply could not afford it. I'll admit I spent more on the house than I should have, and got the warranty to cover the expected foibles. It's sad that the home warranties are not what they once were. I'll certainly be sending people his way, when I hear they need work done.

Again, much thanks to Robin!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123