this may be common knowledge since I "AM" on here with a bunch of computer guys...

But I have been using thomasregister.com now for a few years as a great search engine for say... model serial nameplate of a hard to find a print on chiller, etc... it is a good ref if ya don't already know this!

BUT>>>>>
    I cannot find any info on a small display chest freezer. SCHAEFFER!
    Anybody have any ideas on how to find any info on this peice?

I think they went belly up long before the Net became public.

What do ya need to know about a case? Maybe one of the old farts, (someone old who goes burrrrrppppp), has that piece of info still inhis brain ... in a place where he can put their hands on it easily.

the link is <thomasregister.com>, not that it helped me thistime!

On the case, This is in a market, but just a self contained ice cream chest. I can't get to the evap coils! I see an air vent that runs the entire horizontal length, above the food storage line, like a curtain, but not sure if it is "forced air" or Convection, since I cannot get to inspect the coils, see if there motors, etc.. I am thinking, that they should also have defrost elements in there!
    I could and will, pull amp draws from the timer, (down in the front corner) to verify thay are working, but how the hell does a guy get in to change the heatre or motor if it has one?!

I took about everything that looked like a possibility apart in attempt to access them, but never got in.

I appreciate your help.

off to the salt mines...................

Schaeffer Ice Cream Case.........

R12's right that they're no longer with us. This is a typical designed shared by all the manufacturers of these units. There are two evaporators. One is the primary cold wall with the evap tubes running all around the perimeter of the case and the secondary which is a finned tube coil running across the top rear of the case. There are no fans.

The secondary evaporator does have electric defrost with a calrod type heater element that usually clips to the bottom of the coil. You access it by dropping the drain pan out of the way. Most units have a defrost limit and a termination klixon attached to the RH end of the secondary coil. A bad terminator will often cause the heaters to cook prematurely.

The primary cold wall, of course has no direct means of automatic defrost.

Some of the very early units ran on R12, then most all went to R502. You have to be careful with these with the refrigerants because if the nameplates are gone or it's not marked as to what's in it, you can find a Copeland K-Body rated for R12 LT but due to the EPR valve and special dispensation from Copeland they built them for R502 XLT.

Why Icemeister .... you remembered your history!
    10 Brownie Points!!!

Circle K had a ton of them suckers. Easy as pie to work on if you know what your lookin for.

Gota be careful with pulling out those condensing units with the coil of copper behind them. They get brittle and crack. And when they do, you lose your charge in a hurry.

But their great little boxes.

Those piping coils are particularly susceptible to rub-through leaks from vibration if you don't check carefully after shoving that compressor sled back in.

I have one Schaeffer case left running. It's probably thirty-five years old and likely one of the first they built with good old R502.

Most of my independent C-Stores had these type ice cream cases originally, but they're really fading away what with all the ice cream vendors supplying free display freezers and paying for losses if their unit craps out. How can you argue with that?

Now most of the stores are buying True glass door freezers for their frozen food display boxes. I really like that because I may be able to retire a bit earlier than anticipated servicing those puppies.

hey, I appreciate the info you BRRRRPPPR'S!!!

At least I know there is not a fan in there someplace now!

Maybe we can make this thing freeze for another 5 years huh!

TRULY the best information I have received on this is from you guys! (and I did do other research too...)

thanx.

Originally posted by icemeister
    Now most of the stores are buying True glass door freezers for their frozen food display boxes. I really like that because I may be able to retire a bit earlier than anticipated servicing those puppies.
    Yep .... easy money for anyone willing to work on junk.

Me ... I'm getting addicted to these market racks.

I cant get over how easy it is, once you get past the part of ... "which rack and what circuit am I on?"
    Once you got that part solved, the rest is a piece of cake.

Originally posted by stenfam
    hey, I appreciate the info you BRRRRPPPR'S!!!

At least I know there is not a fan in there someplace now!

Maybe we can make this thing freeze for another 5 years huh!

TRULY the best information I have received on this is from you guys! (and I did do other research too...)

thanx.

Your welcome Buddy. Ask away. I still have the amp draw engrained in my head from setting those CPR valves after a defrost.