Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I found a leak today on a 3D with leaky head gasket. Another leak was found at the demand cooling solenoid valve.

A guy came out and said that since the demand cooling was calling on a cool day as we had today, 74F, there is probably a bad valve or more wrong with the unit.

They are talking about replacing the compressor this week.

I told em I wanted to replace the head gasket and have a plave plate nearby, if needed! And ... if the unit has scoring or seriously bad valve plate ... then and only then ... consider replacing the unit.

I am being overly cautious? Or am I just not up to speed on these particular units yet?

My philospohy is this; "Whatever it needs, do it. But only do what is best for the equipment and customer."

Opinions? Thoughts? Criticisms? Belches .... Coughs... dumb thoughts.......

(if I dont hear from Popa Dice ... I'll certainly be dissapointed)

Was this guy that showed up one of your company's guys or a customer guy?

Either way, you found a couple of leaks, the demand cooling on and so he says replace the pump? If I were paying the bills, I would rather have you working for me.

Me too.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Cough, cough..........bbuurrrpppppppppppppp.
    Tell em to pull a vac if they do

I missed something here, is the compressor pumping OK or what? I just found a leak on a head gasket on a Carrier 15 ton rtu 6D comp. I just tightened the crap out the bolts, so far so good.

Who the heck ya working for anyway?

bbuuurrrrppppppppp.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I'd want to try a plate they are alot lighter than a compressor

Originally posted by Diceman
    Cough, cough..........bbuurrrpppppppppppppp.
    Tell em to pull a vac if they do

bbuuurrrrppppppppp.
    The guy who came over is another tech with my company.

It just strikes me as odd they are pushing for a unit replacement rather than checking out the compressor itself first. I mean ... give this thing a chance to prove itself.

I sugested to get ahold of a compressor curve print out on this particular unit and then see how it compares.
    If it's weak ... take off the lid and peek inside.
    Have the gaskets there to do so.

If there is bad valves, and these valves are causing the demand cooling to be on in low ambient, then fine ... do the valve plate.
    But dang ... dont use a valve plate assembly costing five hundred dollars!

Has anyone got a line on those selling for one third the cost? Maybe you can e-mail me or post it on site supportors.

I want my company to take money from the customer. If they did not, I wouldnt get paid for my labors.
    However, I am not into this ... "bad valves, go replace the compressor".
    Sheesh ... we're NOT talkin here about a hermetic pot!

What's the use of a semi hermetic if we fail to take these units apart and make field repairs, as necessary?

What are we becoming today? "Parts changers"?

So between not using vacuum pumps, the desire to quickly comdemn units ... never using compressor curves, etc .... I am getting the impression we are not living up to the highest standards which we could.

The guy today said he never replaces ower heads. If the TX is good, fine. But if it aint feeding properly, he will adjust once and then replace the entire TX. Whether it needed replacing or not.

I quit argueing with these guys. I just do my job and smile.

Tomorrow I'm gonna get my hands on a print out of the curve for this unit.

If it's within reasonable close of where it outa be ... I dont think the thing out to be changed out.

But of course, that decision isnt up to me.

burrrrrrrrrrrppppppp....

ahhhhhh....

Try to get hold of the curves for the compressor and match the operating pressures to the curve and see what the amps are supposed to be before you condem the compressor. If the amps are higher than they should be, you probably have bad discharge valves. Depending on the age of the compressor and how far over you are on amps, determine whether you want to replace compressor or plates and gaskets.

With the leaks you found the system could be short enough of charge that the valve is open all the time to maintain temperature but not superheat, causeing higher suction gas temp at the comp which will cause high disch temp which will fire the demand cooling.

Originally posted by refer dude 2479
    Try to get hold of the curves for the compressor and match the operating pressures to the curve and see what the amps are supposed to be before you condem the compressor. If the amps are higher than they should be, you probably have bad discharge valves. Depending on the age of the compressor and how far over you are on amps, determine whether you want to replace compressor or plates and gaskets.

With the leaks you found the system could be short enough of charge that the valve is open all the time to maintain temperature but not superheat, causeing higher suction gas temp at the comp which will cause high disch temp which will fire the demand cooling.
    I agree with the first part about the curves.

I also agree about the second part. This is just what happened.
    Time will tell.

R-12 I will NEVER do a valve plate on a 3D compressor since if it needs a plate it is beat. When the discus valve plate goes it scores the cylinder and damages the pistons 95% of the time. I used to think like you, but after 8 years in the trade you will finde the after installing valve plates the damn compressors fail a short time later.

The guy that came in with you has years in the business and knows the problems with valve plate jobs on 1500.00 compressors. Lets see $500.00 for plate, $300.00 for labor then a compressor.............the customers dont like that.

New compressor is charged out as a capitol expense not a repair so maintence dept loves NEW NEW NEW!

What if the problem is just the head gasket? Do we replace the compressor then?
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Originally posted by frozensolid
    What if the problem is just the head gasket? Do we replace the compressor then?
    I guess that question gets answered when the head is pulled to inspect the valves.
    Unit is eight years old.

Freezeking ... that is the type of answer I was wondering about.

I err on the side of caution. And in this particular case, I may have caused more trouble than necessary.

Good thing I took DiceMan's advice and am not argueing with these guys.

I may not agree with them always ... but I dont open my big mouth and make an idiot out of myself ... afterall, that's something I can easily do right here.

Thanks all

Originally posted by R12rules

I quit argueing with these guys. I just do my job and smile. [/B]
    Hey, glad you finally wised up
    If the comp is not pumping, I would also change the entire thing like Frozen said for those very reasons. But I would need to know for sure the comp is bad first, tighten the bolts on the plate, see if that stops the leak.
    At least when ya change the comp you know it will work...............I hope.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast