Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Get the lineup all tested for what caused the problem in the first place.

Like for me yesterday it was the gang clock NOT initiating at all. So I replaced the module.

I spoke with store personell and they agreed to let me leave their case empty overnight and I staged three defrosts. I valved off the refr circuit at the rack. And I walked away.

No wet floors. No garden hoses. No orange cones. No liability. No hours of spraying water and soaking fan motors. etc. etc.

I returned this morning to find hot cases. No more ice. and only one fan motor dead.

WOW .... what a relief! A way to defrost these lines WITHOUT having to use water and not having to make a mess!

Trouble is, the store people I deal with are miserable beggars-not liable to go out of their way to do anyone a good turn! if i asked them to empty cases for me overnight-that'd really tip them over the edge! Why don't they just get a job they like?????

Yes it's hard to get a store to empty a case overnight usually.

You must me a real smooth talker.

That'll work, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT....................

It's not usually in the best interest of the company. Sure, the store manager might agree to it, but if someone from the home office ever walked in and saw a lineup empty, the proverbial excrement would make contact with the rotating propeller, whilst you were standing in front of it.

I know in my area this would be the case. I've never met a grocery exec that wanted to see product "loaded light", much less empty cases.

We are not allowed to leave cases empty.....period....We have to deice on the spot....

R-12 A good habit to get into when you find an iced case. Don't touch the time clock until you have marked the time on the wheel with a pencil. Wait fifteen or twenty minutes to see if your mark moves.

If you go right in and pop it into defrost. Many times this will allow a bad clock motor to restart. This can keep bringing you back for more of the same fun. Never walk away from the problem, until you know you have solved it.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Frozen, you made a good point there. I never heard of a bad clock restarting once it was coaxed a little bit.

Thanks.

Dave, it was made by management to leave the cases empty until Saturday Night. They were out of product to restock back into them. Their delivery wasnt due to arrive UNTIL Saturday night.

I believe my company policy is to do whatever is necessary to keep the customer happy.
    But of course, in my shop, nothing is discussed until AFTER you screw up and the customer got pist at the home office. THEN the details of our company policy comes out .... full force!

When I arrived on scene, there were so many shoppiing carts full of product I couldnt hardly believe my eyes. All gone.

Fitter, how about lunch some time this week? You still got my cell phone number dont you?

Lunch sounds good....I'll call you...by the way we are looking for 4-5 people. We just took over all the stores in the area.

Arrow Defrosting Cases

I agree, shutting down for overnite defrost is my first choice. However about 15 years ago I made up a tool to make it alittle easier. rather than stretch out hoses to the meat dept,or where the closest hot water source is. I made up a pump. Using a submersible pump with 15 ft of hose attached, I fill up a clean garbage can with hot water drop the pump in and wash down the coil. nice slow rate of water flow does not flood the case. all the store managers are happy no hoses for a customer to trip over, even when one covers the hose with a rubber mat. all of the cases have a G.F.I. outlet wired in the kick-plate. The slow water flow actually defrosts the cases quicker>

Hmm

never had to deice a case but was wondering if you could rig up something using one of those little electric pressure washers and hot water--less water,less mess ???

R12
    Your the man...It was like pulling teeth to get our stores to pull their product so we could get to the coil...

What kind of cases we're you dealing with R12, if they were glass doors you should turn off the breaker to the frame heaters so as not to damage the the door and frame from overheating. You can get a hot case with little ice melting happening.
    The most often overlooked ice on a glass door or many cases is behind the coil, take the time to shine your flashlight thru the coil and verify that the ice is gone.
    Most ice buildup causing complete block of the airflow comes from this kinda hard ice.
    Copious amounts of hot water doled out in the right spot at the right time will melt fastest. Be sure to find the drain and clear first!
    To properly deice a frozen case you require the BTU's of a hot water hose and a screwdriver

GO FLAMES GO (almost)
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

I am dealing with what I affectionately call "Bottom Dwellers". In other words, cases with the coils mounted in the bottom of the case.

Husman and Tyler. Most are eight to fifteen years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast