silicone brazing rod
    has anybody esed the new harris brazing rod called blockade. it is a lower temp rod with a blue flux coating, with silicone. i would be interested in any comments as i would like to use it on refrigerant lines.

I use it all the time. I don't even touch the other stuff. It even works great mixing it with existing rod if you're fixing a leak.

Several Problems:

• I've used it, (Got a sample from supplymike. )
    • I didn't MIND it.
    • Nor did I like it a whole lot.
    • My commercial customers don't allow it in their specs.

It seems like an attempt to dumb down more trade skills. It's big selling point, (Other than it's low cost.) is the ability to "cap" a joint. Well, I've been doing that with 15%, 45%, 56%, and plumbing soft solder for as long as I can remember. What really matters, though, is the part you CAN'T see, and I can't see inside those blockade joints...

dorrman,

i beg to differ with you on your point. it might seal but i intentionaly did a follow up fill on a joint with 95/5 and silflos (two seperate joints) using blockade and i thought it looked like crap. this was the second thing i did after filling a normal joint an bisecting it to actually see the capilary penetration.

like i said it might not leak but i think it looks like crap

I think that it is nice to use and makes a nice looking joint, but for someone experienced, it doesn't make a differene.

It's ease of use and ability is Harris's selling point, but I think that it is the biggest negative when you give it to someone inexperienced.

Our production manager said it best when referring to the Blockade with the blue flux, "it is so easy it makes a guy think he is good."

It is like some guy picking up a MIG welder for the first time. After a couple of weeks of pretty welds, he figure he start making aircraft parts on a TIG machine. Then he notcies all of the puddles of aluminum on the ground.

The easy cap feature makes new guys think the big old fillet on top is a great joint. They don't realize the surface are in between the fittings is where the joint is.

For prodcution in the hands of an experienced person it is nice though.

Clyde

just curious, what would you use to join stainless and copper?

45 with white paste flux.

Used all the time on brazed plates. Tried blockade with blue flux. Lots o leaks. Seems to crack.

Clyde