Got a weird one yesterday, this is a 2 bay 11lb block ice maker used for Ice sculptures. Compressor was DOA, slugged and tapping like crazy, it seems someone replaced the compressor and removed all of the controls. The artist just pluged it in and let her rip. I replaced the compressor and added controls. (LPC, FAN Cycling, HPC) My question is does anyone have exp. setting the tx on this type of evap. It has 1 continuos static tubed evap coil (no fans) located under the ice block pans. I set it up yesterday @ 8deg sh but it wasn't bringing water temp down too very fast. 3 deg every 30min. I went back after a few hours and there was barely a 1/2" of ice formed.

Here's the info

R-404A gas
    ambient 96
    head 280
    suction 14
    sc 10d eg
    sh @ comp 25
    " @ tx 8-10
    5300 btu Copeland Compressor @ 20deg evap
    LPC set @ 3out-14in

Compressor amps are good, I was just wondering if this type of evap should have less SH to operate effectively and still prevent floodback at temp.

Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

I have a funny feeling... and I may be wrong (it does happen), but I think your doing all you can with that condensing unit. However, I also think you can flood that coil a little more than your presently doing.

If you can and do choose to go with another condensing unit, one size larger .... I might sugest using multi feed distributor and apropriate coil.
    A single feed coil just isnt for fast pull down.

I'll give it a shot, lowering the S/H a bit, just worried about slugging this new comp. I'll just have to baby sit it for a while I guess. Thanks for the reply.
    Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!