Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I was in a market of ours the other day, jus speaking with a manager. He tells me the head of their maintenance is a guy who used to sell real estate! He was never in the trades!
    He is NOT a service man! He isnt even technically inclined!

Who picks these jewels?

Wouldnt they be much better off hiring someone like one of us to do their advising?

I mean, ... what's their monthly utility bill like for the average supermarket in America?
    If one of us was in there ... if we put our minds to it ... couldnt we cut their utility bills by ten percent just by adising them on the best useage of their hvac/r equipment?

I mean, ... we could do field surveys in their stores and list point by point how and why they are losing money in electric useage due soley to improper maintenance of hvac/r systems.

That coudl easily add up to thousands a month!

Am I making any sence here?

Or is this all about politics again? And I should just shut up and smile that I got a job?

What do you think?

"I think this all started in the 80's when it started to become the norm to hire managers with a DEGREE."

I totally agree. I just had this conversation today with a property manager as to why she can't seem to find qualified help anymore.

My statement, not to put people down, is we now have a country full of educated idiots. The last rental car I had to rent was rented to me by two people in their late 20's who both spend lots of years in college for their degrees. Now they rent cars.

A contractor friend had his son graduate from Harvard or Yale last year. He found a job as a receptionist. He just returned back home to live with his parents again until he can figure out what he wants to do.

One of my daughters friends quit work and went back to college to get her MBA. She was laughing about that because, as she told me, she hates working and hates business so she is going back to college because her parents are paying for it and she doesn't have to work. And she will be telling business owners, in a few years, how to run their business's.

Do you honestly know that many parents that encourage and advise their sons and daughters to work in a trade? I don't.

I've held two positions that required a degree, which I never completed. Now I could not even get through the front door of these corporations.

My aunt ran a large roofing firm back in DC and only had an 8th grade education...that's because that was all there was back then for education.

Some of the best owners/managers of the best firms were non-degreed. It's really a stupid world now.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

My step-sister went to college for 7 years. She is very smart, was pushed ahead grade levels in school and was a foreign exchange student in London. She is a certified CPA. Here's the funny part, she is a pencil pusher at City Hall, doing stuff that has NOTHING to do with what she is capable of. When I become an owner I plan to hire her as in house payroll/accountant.

Another thing funny about those with Degrees...they thing they know it all. They don't know jack. They know how to memorize a book long enough to take a test and how to drink lots of cheap beer.

As far as nobody wanting thier kids in the trades. That is a fact, here's another....schools push kids to get a 4 year education. I know when I was in school(not long ago, I graduated in '97) nothing was mentioned about any trades, they pushed you to be a CEO or a doctor, etc. I feel this is one big reason for the impending tech shortage. I plan to visit our local high schools soon to spark interest in the trade, since I am good friends with the shop teacher he'll let me speak.

I'd like to go to these college kids and tell them, you know....I am making just as much as you will and I didn't spend 4 years in and thousands of dollars on school. I know guys that have gone to college for general residential construction, give me a break...I started construction when I was 12 (father owned biz) and was leading a crew building new houses by 17.

Someday kids will figure it out. For now they just want to go to college and have a good time.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Education is like sex, you can't have to much of it.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

The population is definitley getting watered down with degrees. I have several ppl with Bachelors degrees in telecom and IT in my classes who want to get a real job in the trades. Rather humorous if you ask me.While I was in school it looked like you could not make any real money unless you had at least a bachelors degree in something.

He must have sucked at selling real estate. The ones I know make way more than a Maintenance manager.

Educated and intelligent are not the same thing. You can buy an education but you can't buy smarts.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

This guy gives us fits over changing contactors unless the contact points are MELTED or WELDED!!!
    Just pitted ... just keep on using them.
    Smoked a bit ... just leave em alone.

Cant measure at least several volts DROP across them ... leave them in there.

And he's never worked service....... go figure.

Ozonedrone....Very true!!!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

No Kidding..
    I once worked at a big HVAC/Elec/Plumbing company. over 150 emps. something like 90 trucks on the road. The owner hires his buddy from league baseball to be President of Operations.. a cell phone salesman.
    They needed a new Service dept. manager. Hire a Salesman from the food industry. He lasted 3 weeks. Then they hire a counter saleman from a plumbing supply house. He may have lasted 2 months..
    The commercial department needs a design guy, They hire another sales guy. The first job I saw of his had 5 tons of cooling in a 30x30 office basement..talk about mold problems.
    My first job there was at a Big retirement home, doing piping for the boiler systems. The Crew leader was a great guy. Laid back, easy going. Best guy I ever had for a foreman in commercial work. Jobs were done on time, no major issues.
    On budget, on time.
    They sent him up north to do residential townehouses and gave the next big commercial jobs to a buddy of a buddy of the owners.
    What a nitemare, continuous reworks, over budget, overtime. And then they guy blames everyone but himself, and he was the only real change in the crews.

It really does make one wonder.

The old Peter Principle: They are promoted until they get to the position they are most incompetent in....then they stay there!
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Originally posted by ozone drone
    Educated and intelligent are not the same thing. You can buy an education but you can't buy smarts.
    My boss calls them educated idiots
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Originally posted by thehumid1
    The old Peter Principle: They are promoted until they get to the position they are most incompetent in....then they stay there!
    Ok so you know the Peter Principle. What a lot of big companies are working on is what I call the Peter Principle Plus.

When a person gets promoted to a level where he is incompetent, if he has competent people under him, when things go wrong there is no one to blame. So he will promote incompetent people under him, and they become the goat for the thing that go wrong. And those under him promote incompetent people and so on and so on. I have seen this in large companies of thousands of employees.

Another thought, Education is knowledge, and knowledge is something that you can gain. Wisdome is the application of knowledge, and is God given.

Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast