+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ya gotta love/hate calls like this!

Post Likes
    I receive a call this morning from a donut shop that we have a PM contract on, complaining of no cooling from air conditioning. I arrived and couldn't find anything wrong with the unit. Of course,..... I couldn't find the unit. Some sorry SOB cut loose and stole a 4 year old 3 phase 5 ton condensing unit. To make matters worse, the place doesn't close, so someone had to be there while this happened. The supply whip was left energized, with bare wires exposed. At least whoever did it used a tubing cutter, and not a hacksaw, so I assume it was someone in the business. Judging by the amount of oil on the ground, it was a BLOW and GO kind of deal.

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by cctrol
    I receive a call this morning from a donut shop that we have a PM contract on, complaining of no cooling from air conditioning. I arrived and couldn't find anything wrong with the unit. Of course,..... I couldn't find the unit. Some sorry SOB cut loose and stole a 4 year old 3 phase 5 ton condensing unit. To make matters worse, the place doesn't close, so someone had to be there while this happened. The supply whip was left energized, with bare wires exposed. At least whoever did it used a tubing cutter, and not a hacksaw, so I assume it was someone in the business. Judging by the amount of oil on the ground, it was a BLOW and GO kind of deal.
    It never astonishes me as to the courage of a person who will risk time in prison all for the benefit of what will turn out to be yet another incident of "will trade quality ac unit for 6-pack of beer and quality rock...freon not included. Morons...

Post Likes
    Sounds to me like whoever was working may have been in on it. You can't tell me nobody heard the lines blowing the refrigerant all over.....or the guys busting a nut trying to make thier fast get a way.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    I agree, they probably have a camera on the cash register.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    Reminds me of an episode of Cops where at about 2am this old guy was dragging a water heater down the street. The Cops followed the water trail back to where he had kicked in a door and just hacked the lines.

Post Likes

Hmmm.,....

How old was the unit and did you install it?
    Maybe somebody got stiffed and wasn't happy about it?

Post Likes
    Of course this maroon is gonna try to install this 3 phase unit at home

Post Likes
    Maybe it was an attempt to interupt the police food chain

Post Likes
    An auto parts store near here had a 5 ton unit stolen from the side of the bldg. He had them install the new one on the roof, and it was gone a month later!!

Post Likes
    lol some one trying to get back at the cops for an injustice in the community.

Gotta agree though that some one had to hear that 5 ton blowing unless the person at the store was getting a blow from his girl.

Post Likes
    [/B][/QUOTE]
    It never astonishes me as to the courage of a person who will risk time in prison all for the benefit of what will turn out to be yet another incident of "will trade quality ac unit for 6-pack of beer and quality rock...freon not included. Morons... [/B][/QUOTE]

Somebody who steals property, if even caught, will likely only get a slap on the wrist and probation. I HATE thieves..I say cut their friggin hands off and let them try to steal with stumps.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Post Likes
    I'VE HAD A FEW WHERE THEY ENTERED THE STORES TO ROB THEM THRU THE PACKAGE SYSTEM DUCTWORK AND STOLEN PARTS ON COMMERCIAL BUILDING WHERE SOME HACK RIPPED THE PART OUT OF ONE UNIT TO GET ANOTHER TENANTS A/C WORKING AND CRACKHEADS I SUPPPOSE THAT CUT OUT THE COILS BUT THE WHOLE UNIT? EVEN IF A CUSTOMER OWED ME IT WOULD BE TOO MUCH WORK TO DO THAT ...JUST CUTTING SHOOTING FIX A FLAT INTO THE SYSTEM HAS WORKED BEST FOR ME... COULD NOT HAVE BEEN SOMEONE TOO BRIGHT TAKING A 4 YR OLD UNIT OR MAYBE WHAT THEY REALLY WANT IS THE NEW UNIT YOUR GONNA INSTALL LIKE MIDHVAC SAID.

THIS BRINGS ME AN IDEA....AIRCONDITIONING ALARM SYSTEMS...ELECTRIC EYES IN THE DUCTS SO IF THE LIGHT BEAM IS BROKEN AN ALARM GOES OFF. LITTLE CONTACTORS AT THE BASE OF A UNIT SO IF IT MOVES THE ALARM GOES OFF...
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Post Likes
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by thehumid1
    I'VE HAD A FEW WHERE THEY ENTERED THE STORES TO ROB THEM THRU THE PACKAGE SYSTEM DUCTWORK AND STOLEN PARTS ON COMMERCIAL BUILDING WHERE SOME HACK RIPPED THE PART OUT OF ONE UNIT TO GET ANOTHER TENANTS A/C WORKING AND CRACKHEADS I SUPPPOSE THAT CUT OUT THE COILS BUT THE WHOLE UNIT? EVEN IF A CUSTOMER OWED ME IT WOULD BE TOO MUCH WORK TO DO THAT ...JUST CUTTING SHOOTING FIX A FLAT INTO THE SYSTEM HAS WORKED BEST FOR ME... COULD NOT HAVE BEEN SOMEONE TOO BRIGHT TAKING A 4 YR OLD UNIT OR MAYBE WHAT THEY REALLY WANT IS THE NEW UNIT YOUR GONNA INSTALL LIKE MIDHVAC SAID.

THIS BRINGS ME AN IDEA....AIRCONDITIONING ALARM SYSTEMS...ELECTRIC EYES IN THE DUCTS SO IF THE LIGHT BEAM IS BROKEN AN ALARM GOES OFF. LITTLE CONTACTORS AT THE BASE OF A UNIT SO IF IT MOVES THE ALARM GOES OFF...
    [/QUOTE

Torpedos away!
    Oil can be very cruel and unforgiving! Call your local dealer for a checkup!

Post Likes
    A couple of years ago a house exploded here. I mean the entire house disappeared. Fortunately no one was at home. Turns out, a copper thief went into the basement and sawed out a live gas supply line and left (likely in a hurry!)
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes

Got one similar

Another tech and I had to go to an office building owned by one of our clients to see why none of the units were working properly. It had 8 split HP's and a Marvair wall-hung HP. Thieves had been there and removed just the coils from the outdoor units and the copper lines up to the building walls. They left the remains right where they sat. Fan cover on top of the wire shield around the compressor. That's all that was left. They cut the copper lines as far into the block walls as they could get. We had a time getting them hooked back up. The wall-hung had the condenser coil removed and they tried to get the evaporator coil but, they may not have had a ladder, it was still there.
    This happened one December so, I guess somebodies needed some Christmas cash. Probably in case of snow, or some such.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by thehumid1
    I actually worked on an outside unit on the ground in back of a restaurant, with a theft alarm built in it, wired into the building burglar alarm system.

The previous unit had been stolen.

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by woowoo
    Maybe it was an attempt to interupt the police food chain
    Watch it pal...some of us havn't always been in hvac...

Post Likes
    [/B][/QUOTE]
    Watch it pal...some of us havn't always been in hvac... [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe we should all type a little slower then....

Post Likes
    i THINK IT WAS AN INSIDE JOB. I BET THEY KNEW HOW TO PUMP THE REFRIGERANT TO THE CONDENSER. SOMEONE HAS GOT TO KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mattm
    Reminds me of an episode of Cops where at about 2am this old guy was dragging a water heater down the street. The Cops followed the water trail back to where he had kicked in a door and just hacked the lines.
    Hey that one was just on the other night. I think he ws innocent though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in