Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A couple of years ago a house exploded here. I mean the entire house disappeared. Fortunately no one was at home. Turns out, a copper thief went into the basement and sawed out a live gas supply line and left (likely in a hurry!)
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Got one similar

Another tech and I had to go to an office building owned by one of our clients to see why none of the units were working properly. It had 8 split HP's and a Marvair wall-hung HP. Thieves had been there and removed just the coils from the outdoor units and the copper lines up to the building walls. They left the remains right where they sat. Fan cover on top of the wire shield around the compressor. That's all that was left. They cut the copper lines as far into the block walls as they could get. We had a time getting them hooked back up. The wall-hung had the condenser coil removed and they tried to get the evaporator coil but, they may not have had a ladder, it was still there.
    This happened one December so, I guess somebodies needed some Christmas cash. Probably in case of snow, or some such.

Originally posted by thehumid1
    THIS BRINGS ME AN IDEA....AIRCONDITIONING ALARM SYSTEMS...ELECTRIC EYES IN THE DUCTS SO IF THE LIGHT BEAM IS BROKEN AN ALARM GOES OFF. LITTLE CONTACTORS AT THE BASE OF A UNIT SO IF IT MOVES THE ALARM GOES OFF...
    I actually worked on an outside unit on the ground in back of a restaurant, with a theft alarm built in it, wired into the building burglar alarm system.

The previous unit had been stolen.

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by woowoo
    Maybe it was an attempt to interupt the police food chain
    Watch it pal...some of us havn't always been in hvac...

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Watch it pal...some of us havn't always been in hvac... [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe we should all type a little slower then....

i THINK IT WAS AN INSIDE JOB. I BET THEY KNEW HOW TO PUMP THE REFRIGERANT TO THE CONDENSER. SOMEONE HAS GOT TO KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON

Originally posted by mattm
    Reminds me of an episode of Cops where at about 2am this old guy was dragging a water heater down the street. The Cops followed the water trail back to where he had kicked in a door and just hacked the lines.
    Hey that one was just on the other night. I think he ws innocent though.

Re: Hmmm.,....

Originally posted by Stamas
    How old was the unit and did you install it?
    Maybe somebody got stiffed and wasn't happy about it?
    Worked for this a/c & appliance company that did service contracts for about 80% of their business. Got a call one day from a homeowner that said his housewatcher said his a/c was not cooling. I went out and found out why. The compressor was gone. They used tubing cutters and even black taped up the lines. Homeowner had no idea and then was pissed when he found out he would have to pay for a new compressor and the installation. Left that company and went to work for a much smaller outfit. We were talking about calls from the past and this one came up. The boss said I know that guy, I am the one who took the compressor. The SOB wouldn't pay so I took back my equipment. Friggin hillarious.

Lost ANOTHER one today.
    Someone must have it in for me. I got a call from a pizza store that we also service today. This complaint was about their walk-in cooler. As I banked the corner, I could see what had happened. A FOUR WEEK OLD 1.75HP Tecumseh unit that we had just put in with a new blower, as an upgrade to their cooler, was gone. The sad part is, I haven't even received the final payment on the job.
    Can we shoot these SOB's if we find 'em? In my mind it'd be justified.

Seems like someone is watching you, and/or knows how to identify your work. Good luck catching the theif.

I had one close to that but they were nice enough to only steal the coils ... lol @ police food chain
    I can do all things...

Originally posted by thehumid1
    THIS BRINGS ME AN IDEA....AIRCONDITIONING ALARM SYSTEMS...ELECTRIC EYES IN THE DUCTS SO IF THE LIGHT BEAM IS BROKEN AN ALARM GOES OFF. LITTLE CONTACTORS AT THE BASE OF A UNIT SO IF IT MOVES THE ALARM GOES OFF...

We generally have a spare pair of wires in the low voltage lead. You could always tie them in as a closed loop. Cut the wires, and an alarm goes off!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12