+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9 month old Rheem on a roof

Post Likes

[Edited by midhvac on 06-07-2004 at 08:21 PM]

Post Likes
    It sure looks lonely up there! Must not be much conditioned space below.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    i like the trap on the electric wire. Very ingenious

Post Likes
    sure hope that exposed high voltage is uv rated. If not someone will be back. In some areas they will not let you tie high voltage(230v) to a low voltage wire unless it is sheilded.

Post Likes
    Sorry, the pics aren't too clear, but it's 3 phase and the wires are in aluminum tubing. The stat wires are.... were taped to the tubing. The tubing goes into a larger conduit down through the roof which isn't sealed, so rain goes in it.

The unit which they replaced was sitting on those plastic legs, but they didn't bother putting anything under the Rheem.

Most of the insulation on the suction line is missing. Discharge line from unit (5 ton) comes out of unit at 3/8 and immediately goes into 5/8. Single story building, 40' lineset.

Looks like they got a little close to the flue cap with the crane

[Edited by midhvac on 06-07-2004 at 09:58 PM]

Post Likes
    When you said "discharge line" did you mean the "liquid line"?

If that thing jumps form 3/8 to 5/8 holy sheet man. That's one hell of a receiver! It must hold a few extra pounds!
    ;-P

Post Likes
    They just sat it on the rubber roof? You'de think after a quality job such as that the old unit would still be up there cause they were to lazy to get rid of it.

Post Likes

Niceeeee

So who mashed the B-vent cap down? Was there a call or were you just cruising the roof?
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes

Cool

Too many times, the motto "When you get time...Hurry" gets in the way of quality workmanship.
    Looks to me like it has 3/4" suction and 3/8" liquid line.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by acrtech
    Too many times, the motto "When you get time...Hurry" gets in the way of quality workmanship.
    Looks to me like it has 3/4" suction and 3/8" liquid line.
    The liquid line is actually 5/8, but looks small because the suction line comes out of the unit at 7/8 and immediately goes into 1 3/8

I was actually called to fix the other old Lennox unit (thank goodness). Didn't want to see the pressures on the Rheem. Most of the rubatex (about 20 ft) is off the 1 3/8 suction line.

Post Likes
    Maybe the reinstall will be better when they move it to fix the holes the unit creates in the roof membrane from vibration.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes

Talking

midhvac, come now be honest with us you know your sat on the vent cap because you were laughing so hard you could not continue to stand up.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes

Thumbs down

No oil trap for that distance. I know from experience.If his evaporator is even 4 ft down hes done like dinner.

Post Likes
    Rheem does not want an oil trap.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by rbheat
    No oil trap for that distance. I know from experience.If his evaporator is even 4 ft down hes done like dinner.

OH, the Carrier/Bryant dealer does that all the time here, I know of many. I do have my eye on one Bryant unit he put in, now 2 years old that has the condenser on the roof, the lineset then comes over to the edge 1 foot and then it drops 16foot to a basement window, enters next to the window and then goes 14foot to the plenum and then it drops another 3 foot to the coil...no trap on it either . We have a bet going at the shop that it doesn't last through this summer, we'll see.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by karsthuntr
    Rheem does not want an oil trap.
    On residential splits 5 ton and under Carrier does not want traps either.

Carrier's long line application stats that if the condenser is above the evap you can run your line set 150' straight down...no traps.

Of course there are other items that pertain to a long line application...but no sense getting into that here.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in