Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

http://hometown.aol.com/mrbillpro/my...mtbrand=AOL_US

Been such a long time since i posted a picture I done forgot how where it shows up, but here a link.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Thumbs down

where did you find that disaster

I've had too many like that, took some time to "peel" them clean.
    Usually in rental property. Question most often heard:" There's a filter supposed to be in there?"

Here ya go

Put the url in the img and /img tags surrounded by the [ and ]

Now that I can SEE the pic.
    Man. I guess the last tech did a "beer can cold" superheat method. He must like his beer FROZEN!

Talking

Man. I guess the last tech did a "beer can cold" superheat method. He must like his beer FROZEN!

See those beer can cold methods do pay off I sold this guy a new 5-ton coil thanks to the last tech "or was he a tech?"
    HO She said the guy's last words is your good to go
    Ms. Taylor, Go were go call a real tech?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Remebered another one

This was at the house I was renting. The suction line was freezing over every day all along the length of it. I knew nothing of HVAC at the time but I knew that that line was always insulated. There was none on it so I got some from a hardware store and put it on the line. Didn't help, every day after the line would frost over again. I called my landlord and he called some service co. The guy came out, hooked up his gauges, looked at it a little bit and put some refrigerant in it. Said it was "a little low on freon, I brought the pressure back up to 68 where it needs to be". Mind you, it was over 95 degrees F on that day and probably 80 in the house.
    Next day it was OK. After that it started frosting up again. I called the landlord again and another company showed up. This guy went under the house for quite awhile, came out and told me the coil was rather dirty. He cleaned it and had to remove some freon, it was overcharged. The AC never missed a lick after this techs visit.
    I was thinking of getting into the trade then and I decided if I ever saw a frosted suction line, the last thing I would do would be to put freon into the system, look everywhere else first.
    To this day, refrigerant is the last thing I will put into the system if it exhibits signs of being low on charge, I check everything else first. Often it needs something other than freon.
    After that little fiasco, when I got into the trade, twice a year I went under the house and cleaned that evaporator coil and cleaned the condenser coil outside. Never had a problem with it. Filters changed monthly, of course.
    It's amazing what you learn when someone else screws up and you find out about it.

Yep that looks like a peeler...With just that one little opening there bet the system was like 95% effective at filtering airborne particles. too bad it wasn't letting any air thru either.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

You got that right, william...

I had a boss when I worked service in SO CAL who preached "airflow, airflow, AIRFLOW!" when it came to diagnosing freezing systems. To this day the very LAST thing I do when encountering a freeze-up is go for the freon jug.

And who in their right mind would install a supply register in a drop ceiling right next to the return? I've come across three separate locations like this in my building lately. Gotta change that deal when I can get some time. Two of the three locations have a freeze-up history and I know now how to make that go away for good.

Tell me again. The purpose of the filter is to do what?

I'll put in my 2 cent's worth of experience when it comes to situations like the one described, we employ quite a few "just out of school" tech's or not so experienced tech's (checkouts only) I found alot of them never even bother to hook up their high side gauge for the fear of getting burned. I found many situations where a simple coil cleaning, or blower wheel cleaning solved most problems.
    "I'm not going to tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at my death"

i just got out of school. i used to hook both sides up but i really dont see the need to . i have both on when charging of course but it seems like a waste of time. superheat doesnt care what liquid temp is! or pressure. but as for the freezing, i figure its low, BUT, BUT!!!!, i always check filters, blowers, coils and everything! if i find nothing there, i check charge. i find it works pretty darn good!

Originally posted by mr hvac41
    i just got out of school. i used to hook both sides up but i really dont see the need to . i have both on when charging of course but it seems like a waste of time. superheat doesnt care what liquid temp is! or pressure. but as for the freezing, i figure its low, BUT, BUT!!!!, i always check filters, blowers, coils and everything! if i find nothing there, i check charge. i find it works pretty darn good!
    Checking the sub cooling is just as important as checking the superheat in my opinion.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    Originally posted by mr hvac41
    i just got out of school. i used to hook both sides up but i really dont see the need to . i have both on when charging of course but it seems like a waste of time. superheat doesnt care what liquid temp is! or pressure. but as for the freezing, i figure its low, BUT, BUT!!!!, i always check filters, blowers, coils and everything! if i find nothing there, i check charge. I find it works pretty darn good!
    Checking the sub cooling is just as important as checking the superheat in my opinion.
    Yikes man.

yeah. You need to check subcooling.

You wont BELIEVE how many systems I've thought people charged ONLY by superheat.
    Sometimes there is a restriciton. And someone just thinks it is low on the gas. Adds a buttload to get the superheat down. Little do they know... 30+ degrees of subcooling is BAD!!!

Oh BTW. Couldn't help but to notice you dug up a pretty good handful of OLD threads. But when i got to this one and read " I guess the last tech did a "beer can cold" superheat method. He must like his beer FROZEN!"

I forgot I wrote that it been so long ago. It made me laugh!

anyway. Hook up the high side. I focus as much on subcooling and head pressure when i am charging as I do superheat. ESPECIALLY on a TXV. Subcool is ALL you care about or you could accidentally add way too much refer in that case as well. I see it ALL of the time, especially from guys who did PM in mild weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast