Confused

What is the proper way to install a vibrasorb? I've been taught to install them "parallel to the crankshaft", but the OEM instructions say "perpendicular to the major vibration". Wholesalers quote both, but can't explain why.

Thanks
    ujake

Perpendicular to the major vibration, which, not by any small coincidence, is 99% of the time, parallel to the crankshaft.

I always look at it as the vibration eliminator is designed for movement that is side-to-side (laterally) not end-to-end (longitudinally). Parallel to the crank is where you want to be......and as close to the compressor as possible because it minimizes the magnitude of the movement.

I suppose if you're looking at centrifugal pumps or stuff other than a recip compressor, the rules may change.......in that case, call Dave.

They actually have multiple uses.

My particular favorite is when they are employed in the role of a misalignment coupling.

Originally posted by icemeister

I suppose if you're looking at centrifugal pumps or stuff other than a recip compressor, the rules may change.......in that case, call Dave.
    I'm sorry, the number you have reached is currently on the rag, and is expected to be for quite some time. There is no new number...

In that situation, just put one in after every 90. You'll be fine...