Got to go look at a home that needed something done for air flow. They got their "free" air balance that came with their new home about 2 years ago. Home is about 3 years old now.

H/O had another company recently do a spring maint who mentioned the need for some ductwork repair to fix the airflow issues. They weren't kidding!

So I kind of heard from the homeowner what the deal was and a half hour in the attic confirmed it.
    Just think, our new install guys do this stuff in track homes!

So here's the upstairs air handler. Only two runs coming off of the thing. One run has like 7 registers on it. Some over 50 feet of linear flex duct away!

Look at this cluster f**k! (yes, that's all connected together off of one outlet on the plenum!) They come out of the side of the plenum with I think a 14 inch flex. Then it goes into a series of T-Y's all monkey f**ked together! A few 10 inch runs go right to the master beroom, then a 12 inch run goes over about 15 feet and dumps to another t-y then around about another 15 to 20 feet and hits another t-y to dump to another two registers.

To try to solve their airflow problems the warranty depo attempted to do one of the worst air balances I have ever seen. They must have crimped down about 5 different flex ducts with panduit straps to different degrees.

Pretty damn sad. This call was just to LOOK and see what needed to be done. The call was sent in by the builder actually. I told my suprivisor about it and he is going to handle what to do with it so I guess I don't get to go back and fix it myself. I wasn't going to do anything less than unhook it all, re stretch all the runs, and reconnect it properly with proper t-y's and maybe another home run to the plenum and plus the addition of some much needed duct strap!

Those of you from Phoenix know how this is.

Talking

ZOIKS!!! Looks like a DELWEB property!

If done 'properly' it can work. Apparently they have no clue 'how' to do it properly. I really like the panduit straps. How cool is that?

i know guys that do this, don't work with me anymore hope it's not an epidemic forming. bid the job right, install the dampers and balance it. honestly looks like serviceman work installers usually have tons of extra jiffy-dampers laying everywhere in theback of the truck.

Well these guys install hundreds of units a month. It's all "wham bam, thank you mam" installs for the cheapo Cookie-Cutter builders. And what do you think 99.9% of the units are???? GOODMAN. Goodman must be #1 in sales in Arizona guaranteed!

They don't install any metal dampers. If the H/O complains in the 1st year they get a quicky air balance. They LEAVE the existing flex all lose and restricted with all the whoops and bends and take the only rooms that seem to HAVE good air flow and block half of the diameter of each collor with good ol' DUCT TAPE to HOPE more air is forced to the other supply registers!!! You should see the static pressure on the supply. Goodman blower wheels on the 5 ton units blow apart every other year!

NICE!

Ah it isn't THAT bad.

Or is it?

cde72,

JOB SECURITY! SAY's it all!

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by cde72
    Note to self...... Never..... Ever.... work in arizona.
    Why? If they do work like that they need all the help they can get...codes or inspections must not be mandatory there...or do they have the plain brown envelope codes?

Homeowners wouldn't want me to come to AZ.

They would hate me because I wouldn't fix anything half-ass. They are either going to cough up the dough to do it right or they are going to live with it. But then again, maybe I wouldn't make any money that way either. I'll just stay here where things are done right 9 times of 10.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.