+ Reply to Thread

Thread: window units

Post Likes

Frown

no jokes please. why wouldn't a window unit take a charge ? been working on them for 4 yrs. and never had this happen. i usually charge the low side with a fitting that meters the liquid. sometimes it wont take it all but i can put the rest in the high side. I just changed the compressor and no burnout, so the system should be clean. They are 15 year old Climatemasters. Charge is 2 pounds

Post Likes
    Did you evacuate the system after the repairs??

Post Likes
    Being that you just changed the compressor, you didn't happen to solder one of the lines closed, maybe?

Post Likes
    yes plus checked gauges, fittings. This is the second unit this happened to. I broke the other one completely apart. cap tubes ,metering device, reversing valve etc. I have yet to recharge it.

[Edited by asibari on 06-10-2004 at 02:12 PM]

Post Likes
    Did you solder the liquid line to the service valve tap on the compressor? Check guages and fittings isn't the right answer to either of the questions you were previously asked by the way.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Post Likes
    braze braze braze

Post Likes
    I stand corrected braze,braze,braze.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Post Likes
    why on earth would you repair a FIFTEEN-year-old window unit????????
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Are you actually getting paid to do all that work on a simple window unit? Or maybe you are just bored? Inquiring minds want to know.

Post Likes
    hes in love with this unit

Post Likes

Hmm

Actually guys I have a few spares to work with out of a 300 room hotel. Can't get original parts anymore.

Post Likes
    Some of those old climatemasters are nice seperate fans for the evap and condensor some even ran a small tap off the condensor line and to a coil loop on the evap for dehumidification not like the GE's zoneline crap with an undersized compressor and an accumulator. But cheap does not even begin to describe Hotels thats why they fix 15 yr old window units. I once tried to sell a hotel three new ice machines had a contract on their three old ones and they were between 10 and 15 years old and installed outside in the breezeways in Florida. The three new units financed all under warranty for 3 years was less monthly than my service contract with them but they could not do it because the company was not allowed to finance capital improvements. Go figure.

Post Likes

Red face

I think the biggest reason they won't be replaced is the work that would go into resizing the hole in the wall. Maybe that's the second reason. Me keeping them going is the first.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by thehumid1
    The three new units financed all under warranty for 3 years was less monthly than my service contract with them but they could not do it because the company was not allowed to finance capital improvements. Go figure.
    When I was a young business man I did go figure this out.
    It never made sense to me either. The cost of doing business you can take right off the top. Repairing something is considered "the cost of doing business." When you buy a new piece of equipment the only thing you can deduct from your taxes is the depreciation on the equipment.

Same thing in new construction. The bank will only give them so much money per square foot to build a building. So they cut and cut to get the cost down. First place they look to cut is the air conditioning systems. After they get into the building and start making money then they upgrade the equipment.

When the down time of a piece of equipment cuts into your production then it is time to look at replacing it. But when you have 300 rooms in a hotel what's the chances that they will be 100% full.

Post Likes
    Thanks Benncool I must say a lot things i have scratched my head about seem to get answered on this forum!

Post Likes

Confused

[i]Originally posted by benncool But when you have 300 rooms in a hotel what's the chances that they will be 100% full. [/B]

I did a couple of Hampton Inn's, the manager of one of them told me she only needed 60% occupancy on weekends to be profitable.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in