Yay or nay to new house???

Mother in laws lookin at first home. Problem is all the different sources of power. It has an oil furnace with baseboard heat. Gas water heater and electric range. I recently bought my first home, we have gas and electric. So even though I do HVAC, I dont have enough experience with utility paying to either yay, or nay the situation.
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1010 View Post
    Mother in laws lookin at first home. Problem is all the different sources of power. It has an oil furnace with baseboard heat. Gas water heater and electric range. I recently bought my first home, we have gas and electric. So even though I do HVAC, I dont have enough experience with utility paying to either yay, or nay the situation.
    Well a gas water heater is a good idea since water heaters use energy on a pretty consistent basis. Gas water heaters also last longer than electric ones do!
    An oil furnace? Yikes! These are nice, but you are now subject to market prices which are consantly fluctuating for home heating oil! I would go with a gas furnace too.
    An electric stove? whoa! I don't like cooking with electric and I would go with gas here too! All 3 appliances should go gas for resale value alone and so you don't have the 3 different bills each month. Gas should be the least expensive out of all 3 of those!
    I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

The late and greatest ever, Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1010 View Post
    Oil furnace with baseboard heat? Do you mean oil boiler?

Regarding the gas water heater, I'm assuming you mean nat gas, and NOT propane? If she does have nat gas, than the oil furnace/boiler can be swapped out for a nat gas furnace/boiler if she's worried about oil prices.

If everything works ok, why change anything? aask to see the last years utility bills, gas -oil-electric. Then you can see if an energy upgrade makes sense.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Have her keep all three sources.

Look at all the practice you can get when they break.

Since she might end up paying a street charge weather or not if she uses gas.
    I would think about going with a gas boiler if the current oil boiler is getting up in its years.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Have her keep all three sources.

Look at all the practice you can get when they break.

Since she might end up paying a street charge weather or not if she uses gas.
    I would think about going with a gas boiler if the current oil boiler is getting up in its years.
    HAHAHA,...nice way to look at it. And the first question she asked was, "CAN YOU PUT CENTRAL AC IN IT?".....Workin for family = no money??? cuttin out walls to get ductwork to 2nd floor? Your goin through HUDD which means no upgrades will be paid for? Oil to Gas conversion has to come out of pocket??? I'll get you a nice window unit, ma! ........
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Electric is the most costly there is no doubt. Gas water heater would be the second most efficient (demand being the most efficient) well other than solar but that isn't even close in capital investment so we will stay with what is reasonable. Also if all is gas or oil you can have heat with a huge generator. A smaller one say 5000kw would run lights and fans for the furnace. Plus you would still have hot water. I do like what the other member mentioned was to look at the history of utility bills for the last year or so.

Anyway have a great week end.

CFowler

Quote Originally Posted by mrbenz7 View Post
    Well a gas water heater is a good idea since water heaters use energy on a pretty consistent basis. Gas water heaters also last longer than electric ones do!
    An oil furnace? Yikes! These are nice, but you are now subject to market prices which are consantly fluctuating for home heating oil! I would go with a gas furnace too.
    An electric stove? whoa! I don't like cooking with electric and I would go with gas here too! All 3 appliances should go gas for resale value alone and so you don't have the 3 different bills each month. Gas should be the least expensive out of all 3 of those!
    I'd like to see where it's written that gas water heaters last longer than electric.

I have seen gas water heaters only last a year and some last for 15 years, same goes for electric.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    I'd like to see where it's written that gas water heaters last longer than electric.

I have seen gas water heaters only last a year and some last for 15 years, same goes for electric.
    They do. The tanks last longer and often have double the life span of an electric. Why this is I'm not sure, but it has been offered that with the burner at the bottom of the tank, this turns up water flow currents that tend to disturb the sediment on the bottom of the tank and freely let it dispurse through the taps.

An electric doesn't have this same type of operation and sediment is most often not disturbed in an electric on the tank bottom and this leads to sediment, sludge and rust!

I've seen Gas water heaters outlast electric for more than 25 years now! I have a gas water heater that is 26 years old myself. It gets flushed out twice a year with a garden hose on the bottom tap.
    Last edited by mrbenz7; 04-24-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

The late and greatest ever, Senator Barry Goldwater

Oil heat sucks! you never seem to know how much oil you have until you run out. Then go buy 10 gallons of diesel to get through till the truck shows in a few days. back when diesel was deisel of course. And do you want it filled? 250 gallons? ouch! Also if the place has an underground tank beware, if it has leaked its probably a super fund site.
    Most state and local codes require removal of the underground tank unless it is in use. When you convert to nat gas is when you find out if the tank leaks.
    An underground oil tank is bad news on any property.
    If It has an above ground tank everthing is good as long as the old underground is not lurking in the yard. I would run the oil heat until it had problems and the go to gas even with the range.

Quote Originally Posted by sweat hog View Post
    Oil heat sucks! you never seem to know how much oil you have until you run out.
    If your on automatic delivery. Chances of you running out are reduced.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?