cornelius upright
    this unit had a bad evap motor
    replaced it with a U291, half hour later customer called to say that the motor quit..
    p/u 2nd one from wholesaler..... same thing after 1/2 hr.
    called a.o. smith rep, tell us that these motors are air over only, in this cabinet though the shaft protrudes through the cabinet, motor on outside, no air over, this motor won't cut it, even though physically and watts, voltage...look identical
    ok... order one from cornelius rep in canada, QBD, install this (I asked customer to install a small fan above by motor to give it external cooling, this worked, took two weeks to get motor from QBD)
    1/2 run time this motor quits, internal overhead too... like previous ones, call QBD and told that need to install a gasket, nothing more that a 3 in diam, self adhesive 5/8 thick foam doughnut.... 1 1/2 week later, gasket arrives...
    install gasket,.... 1/2 hour later motor quits...
    QBD says is blade bent,? shaft bent? (is a new motor, isn't it, you supplied it)
    just another day in making a living, can't bill for 5 trips can I...
    any thoughts
    hem

Not to be too simple minded but is the voltage right at the motor

I had an ice machine that acted like this once. It made a fool out of me. Took three separate visits to get it right. Wait, no ... four visits. Then I ordered the TX and that made it ..... five.

Eee-gads .. five seems to be THE number of choice for problematic equipment... doesnt it?

Welcome to the hell

that is Cornelius.

They should just give the F*CK up and stop trying to manufacture anything.

Only two weeks for a common part? They're getting faster.

thanks for the replies, but.......
    I agree dave, junk!!! but how can I tell the customer to toss it,
    someone in days gone by has moved his condensing unit into the basement, along with the other condensing units, and the system has worked for years... until this evap fan motor died....as I mentioned.. picked up identical replacement from the wholesaler.. a.o. smith motor, usually don't have a problem with them.... but after two new motors on and same problem continues. time to find an answer... called a.o. smith.... replied as previous post,
    went with the o.e.m part...STILL same problem....(capitales intentional) put in gasket they say has to be there... now what
    e-mailed QDB... you should see there reply... lol
    bent motor shaft. (like on four new motors? wouldn't that be a coincidence, now eh?)
    I think I will install a blade with less of pitch and see if I can keep the motor from over heating, having a small fan running above the cabinet is working at keeping this motor cool enought so as to not overheat on internal sensor.
    hem

Originally posted by hem057
    Post their number, I'll tell them.

Originally posted by hem057
    someone in days gone by has moved his condensing unit into the basement, along with the other condensing units, and the system has worked for years... until this evap fan motor died....as I mentioned.. picked up identical replacement from the wholesaler.. a.o. smith motor, usually don't have a problem with them.... but after two new motors on and same problem continues. time to find an answer... called a.o. smith.... replied as previous post,
    went with the o.e.m part...STILL same problem....(capitales intentional) put in gasket they say has to be there... now what
    e-mailed QDB... you should see there reply... lol
    bent motor shaft. (like on four new motors? wouldn't that be a coincidence, now eh?)
    I think I will install a blade with less of pitch and see if I can keep the motor from over heating, having a small fan running above the cabinet is working at keeping this motor cool enought so as to not overheat on internal sensor.
    So, how many hours do you have tied up into making a cooler that you couldn't resell for 200 bucks work????

There are gonna be jobs that simply ... jus dont pay to work on! And right from the git go... "Corney Equipment Sales" is certainly one of them!

It's the end user who makes the final decision to throw it away. It has to be based upon their financial ability to deal with an unreasonable piece of machinery.

Let the burden fall soley upon THEIR shoulders, and not yours!
    Unless of course, you recomended they buy this junker.

They need a good service man. A good honest service man. They do NOT need a care package. They do not need a counselor. They simply need a man who will spell it out for them in black and white!

They got a lemon. Put it in writing! And get paid for what youve already done.