Closing a sale

Thread: Closing a sale

Ok guys..what work for you all? I think I'm in a rut are
    something.
    Been doing all I can from three page proposal,to bringing display out on the job..Showing all the math.yadda,yadda,
    and as of late non of it matters.

Its seem everyone is shopping price,quality and craftsmanship and being on time,at there convinence like
    when they arrive home after work around 6 or 7 no longer
    matter.

If you homeowner out there are reading this,please dont
    leave us to believe that you're looking for someone to do it right,and makes us spend four to five hours on your design doing all the math and research it take to achieve
    the ulitmate goal.

The ulimate goal being,comfort and saving that you see every month when you open the electric and fuel bills.
    Please dont abuse us,because as professional we think
    you deserve this,even know you do not.

If you guys are shopping price,just say so.If the budget
    is tight let us know,please dont be a shame to say i only have this much,can i get something at this price.
    Shoot we are hvac guys,most of us are in the same boat.

Then as homeowner you wonder why,some contractor never call or show up for appointment,well after running all over town
    dealing with people whom waste your time,and you got over
    40 hours of free time for you all,not us because we got to feed our family as well.Think about it!!,hes properly is
    fedup for the day and know its a lost cost,so why brother.

Sorry! got off topic.Wasted days and wasted nights.

'Its seem everyone is shopping price,quality and craftsmanship and being on time,at there convinence
    '

ME: IF you were a HO not knowing who you can trust in the hvac trade (which is usually the scenario and rightfully so...) then, shopping hard for the right system 'for the price' ...seems normal to me. However, there is no excuse for HO's standing up contractors, etc....had 6 a/c startups the other day..and i got stood up on 3 of them.

Whenever youre going to spend a lot of money on something, its wise to shop and consider what everyone has to say. In this economy, price is a very important issue and unless you have money to burn , HO's (and us) are going to shop around ---- we do it to wholesalers dont we ?!

Dave

Dice is going to make fun of me but....

At Dale Carnegie Sales course we learned how to identify and acess a potential customer. Don't waste your time on a lead if you only have a 10% chance of getting the job.

I had to train the ladies in this office how to pick out the losing sales leads. You can't go out on every call just because someone wants "air conditioning". Some times you have to tell your customer right up front that "Home Depot has window units for $79."

If someone calls and gives the impression, 'I want central air conditioning but I don't have any money' Then don't waste you time. Learn how to identify this kind of customer and don't go out on such a sales call.

'If someone calls and gives the impression, 'I want central air conditioning but I don't have any money' Then don't waste you time. Learn how to identify this kind of customer and don't go out on such a sales call.
    '

ME: Definetly. It pays to qualify the HO first ; i learned this when i was in Commerical HVAC Sales for a Fortune 500 Company. One can really waste alot of time and money , on unqualified prospects.

"One nation under God'

ME: I totally agree. But the nation seems to have gone the way of 'the one celled pond protozoa' (aka psuedo science macro evolution) so that we are complete random accidents ...in order to justify ones 'less than desirable' moral accountability. Since the nation shifted from God to Self...it has become a degraded moral sewer and it will get much worse in just the next 10 years.

When I layout a print and need to reveiw it with a bldg or HO I don't leave it with them or let them have it. I'll print my own copy if I have to. In the early yrs Ive found my layout was handed to others to bid against me and I didnt get the job or the HO took it to his brothers 3rd cousin of a friend who "knows" how to install and I didn't get the job.

I don't give them every detail on how to pull the job off. It may take awhile and I'm potentially giving my knowledge away of how to fix their prob for free if I don't get the job. Once again you can have HO burn an hour of your time and gas money for you to tell them how to get the pipe from point A to B and what size it needs to be then you find they went to Home Depot and had a friend do it.

I try and sell my service which Im confident in and less of trying to sell them with what I shouldn't be giving away.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Thanks all,and Bennie you just keep talking because I can
    allways here the wisdom in your voice,so thanks pops.

After twentysix years in the buss,i like to think i can read people pretty well,and know when it a waste of time.
    But as a late that does not seem to be the case.

And as fars as getting other estimate,no problem I welcome it.
    I just wish people in general,would be alittle more up front,as to what the budget will allow.
    Dont lead me to believe that you have the dollars to do it,and after several meeting and lots of time on design,you now realize that you cant afford it.

I guess what I'm trying to say if you want to try in keep up with the jones,do it on your time not mine.

Again thanks all,I welcome all advise and opinions.

Hey its 2004 can we start charging for estimate now?

I learned alot from this man.

His info may be on tape or book now. I flew to Redmond Wash and spent a week learning from him. The course was called "Customer Relationship Selling" and he completely changed my approach, closing rate and bottom line. Now I love sales and could care less if the lowballs have been there or are coming. I can convince the customer of my value and sell it at a Damn good rate.

Tom Piscitelli
    Applied Learning Associates
    (425)985-4534
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Thanks Spott,I'll check it out.