+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1998 Chevy Cargo Van : Can get water temp above 161 F.

Post Likes
    Ive had this problem for the last 3 years plus. I strapped a remote sensing thermometer to the upper radiator hose and insulated it. Was 73 f ouside ...cant get water temp above 162 f. Ive replaced the engine thermostat 3 times and the last one i put in was a balanced type one (setting of 195 f). I examined the housing closely and the thermostat is seated down --- all i can think of , is that the thermostat must be lifting up partially especially under higher rpms thereby bypassing water around.

Thoughts ???

TY, Dave

Post Likes
    First of all, do you know if your temp gauge is accurate?
    Also whats wrong with the original temp gauge in vehicle. You would want to check temps at the block where the original sensor is. If you going to check temps at the upper radiator hose, make sure the sensing bulb is at the bottom of radiator hose. The upper part of the radiator hose is not always full and if the sensor is at top it may not read correctly. Rubber is a good insulator so actual temps may show a bit lower.

Roy

Post Likes
    Let's swap. I can't get my old Ford to cool down. Had to run around with the a/c off today because the engine was running hot. Gonna have to get the radiator boiled out or at least flushed. The "fluid" in there is pretty rusty.
    "FIGHT CRIME: SHOOT BACK"

Post Likes
    'First of all, do you know if your temp gauge is accurate?
    Also whats wrong with the original temp gauge in vehicle. You would want to check temps at the block where the original sensor is.
    '

ME: Yes..i know the vans temp guage is accurate as well as my remote sensor thermometer --- i also used a Lazer thermometer to verify the water temp. The only time it comes up to 195 f. is when its hot out ...like 90 f plus. Im going to look closer at the thermostat and how it sits in the housing, cause, i think its lifting somehow. If you have any other thoughts, let me know and thanks for your time.

Dave

Post Likes
    I have a 95 G30, the thermostat opens at 205 at factory specs. You must have the wrong thermostat or a bad thermomitor.

[Edited by appltech1 on 06-04-2004 at 10:59 PM]

Post Likes
    could be that your clutch on the fan is not slipping and you are getting too much air through rad? maybe you got an oversized rad?
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    If you look at the t-stat housing you will note a recess where the t-stat outer edges sits. Unless you have the wrong stat there is no way for it to lift that much to make a difference. Btw you could check that by removing the radiator hoes and using a srewdriver the verify is tight.

If you had a fan clutch stuck it wouldnt make a difference, you cant overcool a radiator due to the stat keeping the temps up.

Roy

Post Likes
    'If you look at the t-stat housing you will note a recess where the t-stat outer edges sits. Unless you have the wrong stat there is no way for it to lift that much to make a difference.
    '

ME: I went according to the manufacturers catalogue each time i bought the (3) thermostats . But, i shall have a closer look at the stat and how it seats in the housing.

Post Likes
    SOLVED ! I got a slightly larger in diameter Stant Superstat with rubber seal already around the perimeter . Plus, it was 1.5 inches longer with a disc. on the very bottom of it the size of quarter (a restrictor perhaps ?) . After i put it in and buttoned everything up, took it for a test drive and in no time i was at 192 f. Im hoping this will give me better fuel economy as i was only getting 13 mpg with the 305 cid motor , plus, i cant till winter to see how it warms up the cab better !

TY for your advice, etc...

Dave

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in