Thread: belts

belts

Has anyone seen or heard anything about a belt brand name BESTORQ. My boss buys belts for the lowest price and that's not always good. One year he bought D&D power drive belts and before that condor belts. These belts were snapping all the time. Some guys I work with thought they were belt forensic scientist and came up with every reason why the belt failed except that they were junk. It went as far as getting a jason rep out to show and tell us into doing it right. All this to find out these belts are for a swamp cooler application(I'm in az)or on that requires and in house maintenance person to be on the ball. Anyhow I hope these bestorq belts are decent. Thanks

Never heard of them....I use Gates, or Browning by Emerson, they perform just fine...like any other belt, they have to be replaced every so often. Just pay attention to the tension and make sure the pulleys are in good shape.

The Dayton belts from Grainger have work great for me for years. But each belt I change, I always make it a point to check alignment, pulley wear & cleanliness. Also have been very impressed with the notched V-belts from Dayton too.

I have used Browing or Goodyear. I would switch all my belts to AX or BX belts

The reason most belts fail is because the customer NEVER wants to pay us to come back and tighten them after 48 hours of run time , by then they have stretched ,and then if not reset properly they deteriorate.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

And Tech dont used a laser alignment tool with large units

Quote Originally Posted by IRONHILL24 View Post
    And Tech dont used a laser alignment tool with large units
    Wish i could afford a good one myself.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Not cheap but when you are working in clean rooms or equipment that can't shut down its worth having and charging the customer for it.

On my last service Thursday I found a single "A" belt used on a 5hp 3ph air handler motor. A real squealing pulley/belt burner. I installed two larger diameter pulleys and a "B" belt for more belt contact area. I did not have a double groove set for this AH then, which I prefer for 3 phase and more than 2hp. Three phase motors seem start with with so much more of a jolt than single phase motors.
    jt

I had a hospital 50 ton ER unit eat the belts no time to get supply house open they needed it on NOW so I walked across the street to auto zone and bought two lawn mower belts lol it worked for the 2 hours I needed to get the supply house to open in the middle of the night then replaced the belts same night..
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

after some more convincing, the boss decided that we dont want to repeat the same mistakes of the past, he made it known that we only will use Gates belts. which is a good belt. i personally like the browning belt but they cost a lot. many times i've gone on a call and it was a broken belt and pulled an old browning out of the rtu and got the air flow going again. ( and the gone to get a new belt)

any cog belt is better then any a or b belt, if the fan is running all the time, cog all the way