Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: local licensing

local licensing

Having only work for one company i have only worked in one area of the country. In my particular county in Indiana u have to pass certain test in order to be license to do any type of install and repair work per the building dept. Is this unusual or common around the country? I know the surrounding counties don't have it and some don't even have inspectors..scary

License, whats a license.

Not required in this state, or my lcal area.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

In Jersey, if you have 500k in insurance and a tax id number you can pull permits. If no permits, like 80% of work that happens in this state, then it's what plumber can come in at the cheapest price and then disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    In Jersey, if you have 500k in insurance and a tax id number you can pull permits. If no permits, like 80% of work that happens in this state, then it's what plumber can come in at the cheapest price and then disappear.
    for residential work you also have to be registered with the state as a home improvement contractor. pita but at least it stops every little town from requiring their own license.

when i started to study for the test i was told only our county and Florida where the only two places in the country that required special license from the building dept. have been "told" many things. u cannot pull a permit unless you have a contractors license and that is different from the installer repair license.
    Your work is then inspected twice..one rough in and a second final for all new construction. not swap outs

You need to have a state contracting license to pull a permit here. I do have to keep my J-man lic. and my cfc card handy to do any military work.
    Local 234
    Have Gauge$ Will Travel

avalon ,stone harbor ,sea isle city all places must have state lic. # AND coverage of at least $3 million . policy ocording to twsp officals or leave town.
    GOOD WORK IS NOT CHEAP! AND CHEAP WORK IS NOT GOOD!

IF YOU THINK A GOOD HVAC COMPANY IS EXPENSIVE. THEN YOU SHOULD TRY A BAD ONE.

I live in Indiana as well and I'm starting my own business. I have a tax ID and I'm covered for over 3 million. I also have an associates degree in HVAC and several years experience. I'm trying to find out if you need any kind of license for this state/county. So far it seems that I don't need one. I don't do new construction and, I live in Tippecanoe Co. if that helps. Can anyone tell me what agency I should contact to find a definite answer to this?

Also, the business & management membership for this website requires proof of your license. I'm wondering what I should do for the membership if I don't need one for my county.
    Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.
    Teach a man it's ok to stand in a fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

- "If you were able to chose the kind of brain injury you were to incur, it would be better in terms of the potential for recovery to have a stroke, concussion in a motor vehicle accident, etc. than carbon monoxide poisoning" -- coheadquarters.com

here is the web site for Tippy's building department..call there number, i am sure they can answer your questions.

http://www.tippecanoe.in.gov/building/

Hmm

In Florida any work thats not small appliance repair done by someone without a contractors Lic can be a felony.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Off subject But did you know a James Wood at the 112 FW

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    here is the web site for Tippy's building department..call there number, i am sure they can answer your questions.

http://www.tippecanoe.in.gov/building/

Thanks yellowirenut. So much to figure out with this business stuff. Gotta do something when you get laid-off though.
    Last edited by j0joe33; 04-04-2010 at 09:37 PM.
    Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.
    Teach a man it's ok to stand in a fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

- "If you were able to chose the kind of brain injury you were to incur, it would be better in terms of the potential for recovery to have a stroke, concussion in a motor vehicle accident, etc. than carbon monoxide poisoning" -- coheadquarters.com

On the downside of things, licensing is subjective either by locality, state or both. On the upside, it is subjective by locality, state or both.

Having moved from a market that did not require licensing to a state that did, just qualifiying to sit for exam to see if could be licensed was an uphill battle. On flip side of the coin, I would never claim myself qualified to work on the steam boiler systems in the under belly of NYC underground. Sure probably could figure it out with time, but does one really want that? Definately not my dependents (well, they might, lets not ask them....what I do not know wont hurt me there.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast