Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repair or replace?

Post Likes

Repair or replace?

Hi Everyone.

I'm looking for some feedback and advice regarding a 10 year old Goodman 5 ton 12 seer split ac/furnace unit. I was informed that it needs a new compressor (covered under warranty) along with a few other parts (filter dryer, capicitor, contactor board, and r22 refrigerant. The warranty covers all the parts, just not the labor and the freon. The contractor suggested replacing the other parts along with the compressor to make sure it is a job well done.

1) Not sure how much freon is needed to fill the entire system. There is probably 40' of line going from the outside ac unit up to the condensor in the attic. How many feet of line can you fill (7/8's) per pound of freon (R22)?

2) Was also quoted install of brand new system (goodman heat pump and air exchanger).

3) My main concern is I don't know if it's a good idea to spend money on fixing the current unit (not sure if the coils will eventually go bad) or put the money into the new unit. If the coils do get a leak, can it be easily fixed?

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by acproblems; 04-20-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: removed pricing information

Post Likes
    I don't know how the tech came up with all these recommended repairs. Have you had troubles with this unit that required a service call? How has it been performing up to now? Did you call someone to look at it? I would not want to spend money to fix a 10 year old unit, but I'm having doubts as too all these repairs and would like more info, please!
    I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

The late and greatest ever, Senator Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Pricing is prohibited here...so please edit post. It would seem from the list that you had an electrical issue, with burned-out compressor. If the compressor produced acid in this process, it will be a expensive repair in order to ensure that you don't have future issues with new compressor. Money spent either way should be spent wisely and should be fully explained to you by contractor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hidalgo1301 View Post
    Pricing is prohibited here...so please edit post. It would seem from the list that you had an electrical issue, with burned-out compressor. If the compressor produced acid in this process, it will be a expensive repair in order to ensure that you don't have future issues with new compressor. Money spent either way should be spent wisely and should be fully explained to you by contractor.

That is what the contractor mentioned, and said the best way to ensure there is no problems with the new compressor, is to bleed the old freon and put in new, as well as change out the filter. Does this sound correct? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbenz7 View Post
    I don't know how the tech came up with all these recommended repairs. Have you had troubles with this unit that required a service call? How has it been performing up to now? Did you call someone to look at it? I would not want to spend money to fix a 10 year old unit, but I'm having doubts as too all these repairs and would like more info, please!
    No real issues. Last year seemed to work fine, however it had always had a high pitched hum or vibration to it, and I noticed last year that noise went away. Turned it on the other day, and no cold air and air flow seemed lower than norm. That's when I decided to call a professional. The contractor is suggesting replacing the other parts so there are no future problems. He tested the capacitor and it was fine. Said there was some slight burning on the contactor board.

Post Likes

heat pump or central ac

also, being located in phoenix az, would you recommend a heat pump over central ac or vice versa? Thank you.

Post Likes
    If you require heat in phoenix and don't have existing heat strips or a furnace, get a heatpump. (I doubt it gets cold enough there for a heatpump to ever go into defrost - correct me if I'm wrong)

Post Likes
    Let me answer some of your questions.
    Before i do that let me say that if you got 10 years out of a Goodman system ,you got good service,thus its time for a new system especially if you can recup some of the cost with the federal rebate and any company discounts at this time.
    Ok if you have a burn out which I believe you do,you would never ever reuse the same feron as it would contain acid and wax and other contaniments that would cause you untold headaches.On that topic you would also want two filter dryers not one as you would have to put one on the suction side as well as the liquid side.These dryers would also have to be "burn out filter dryers" not reguliar dryers because they are especially designed to filter out the acid etc.that will be left by a burnout.If you don't do this you will need another compressor probably next year.
    If you decide to get a new unit,make sure the line set is replaced because all the bad stuff of the burnout will be clinging to the inswide of those lines and be released into your new system.
    As to if you should get a heat pump or an air conditioner that would be up to you.It would help you on heating costs but only you know what those costs are. and if the savings would justify the extra cost of the heat pump.
    you didn't ask but i very much would reccomend you buy the 10 year parts and labor warranty.That as well as the system is cost negotiable.
    Good luck.

Post Likes
    I don't know how the tech came up with all these recommended repairs. I would not want to spend money to fix a 10 year old unit, but I'm having doubts as too all these repairs and would like more info, please!

As those additional listed items.

Are text book items for doing a proper compressor change out.

Sounds like it was a good tech was at the OPs house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    As those additional listed items.

Are text book items for doing a proper compressor change out.

Sounds like it was a good tech was at the OPs house.
    That's what I was going to say. I change those out no matter what. It's just part of the price of doing the job. You don't even get a say in it.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    The tech came up with those repairs because they are necessary for the job. Anytime you open a refrigeration system to atmosphere you should always replace/ install a liquid line drier. If it was a burnout, a suction line drier should also be installed and then removed or replaced in the near future. Just like with any motor replacement, the capacitor should be replaced whether it's good or not. The contactor could be pitted or arched, so replacement of that is good insurance of proper voltage to the new compressor. Anytime I replace a compressor, I use virgin refrigerant. I think it was a good tech that came out to diagnose the problem. On the flip side, with the unit being 10 years old, I would recommend replacement of the unit rather than replacing the compressor. I think a heat pump in Phoenix wouldn't be a bad idea.

Post Likes

Thank you

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who took the time to post a reply. This forum has been very helpful in making a decision (going with new unit). Thank you.

Post Likes
    One additional question. Since the unit that has the issue is the outside ac unit, and the gas furnace and coils in the attic are fine, what about just replacing the ac unit and or the ac unit and coils, and NOT replace everything?

Post Likes
    So, you have a conventional gas furnace, evaporator coil, and air conditioner system now, as I understand. You were quoted for a "heat pump and air exchanger" - my question is does this mean getting rid of the gas altogether and installing an air "handler" and heat pump, or just installing a heat pump and a new evaporator coil to go along with the furnace. FYI, an air handler has a fan and an evaporator coil, and no furnace is used along with it. I'm just not clear on what the replacement plan is--get rid of gas and go straight electric, or keep the gas and just add-on a heat pump (which would essentially mean the gas heat is never needed except for very rare occasions, and only provides the airflow).

One more thought...if the compressor burned out, I'd see about replacing the copper lineset that goes from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit, if easily done. Otherwise other measures would need to be taken to ensure contamination is removed from the system.

Post Likes
    The tech recommended flushing the lines, using an acid neutralizer, and then adding the freon back in (regardless of replacement or new).

with regards to the current system, the furnace is gas. The furnace is located in the attic along with the ac coils attached to it. The main ac unit is located outside. The tech suggested switching from an ac unit, to a heat pump. Not really sure of the advantages, however the new unit (heat pump, air handler and coil) would all be electric. I live in phoenix, so not sure if heat pump is better, and also not sure if I will save going from gas to electric for the heat. Old ac unit is 12 seer and new heat pump unit combined is 15 seer.

Post Likes
    If it's a warranty compressor, I'd replace the compressor. I wouldn't recommend replacement unless there were other problems, leaks, etc.

Post Likes
    I personally am not familiar with how cold it gets in Phoenix in the winter. How often do you use the heat? If you don't use the heat that much, I would be more inclined to buy an A/C rather than a heat pump. Gas is usually cheaper than electric, and since you already have it(gas), I'd stay with it. Heat pumps work well in warmer winter climates where your source of backup heat is electric strips or propane. You will more than likely have to replace the indoor coil so that the efficiency matches with the new outdoor unit. Flushing the refrigerant lines should be done. I think a lot of your decision is going to depend on your budget. There would be an advantage to replacing your furnace if you went with a variable speed blower and a high efficiency A/C. If your budget is only for a A/C or heat pump, I would probably go with an A/C and new indoor coil. Whichever route you decide to take, make sure that the equipment you're going to have installed meet the criteria for the tax credit that is available. Might as well take advantage of Uncle Sam if he's willing to put some money in your pocket because it doesn't happen often.

Post Likes
    It usually doesnt get much below 40 in the winter (usually stays around the 50-60 degree mark) and we run the gas heat usually only dec to feb (3 months). The new unit being quoted would have the variable speed fan (not exactly sure why this helps) but was told this would help save electricity.

So it sounds like the main options are:

1) replace current compressor (along with filter, contactor, capicitor) and flush freon and replace with new.

2) replace current ac unit and coil with new ac and coil, keeping current gas furnace.

3) replace gas furnace with new heat pump, air handler and coil.

Does this sound about right? Thanks again.

Post Likes
    Unless your electric rate is sky high, I would go with a new heat pump...

Post Likes
    electric is averaging about $.12 pr KWH. Gas averages .77 per therm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in