Need advice on thermostat

Hi

I am going to replace my current heat pump (17 y.o. Trane XL 1200).

I am leaning toward the Trane XL 20i with a communicating VS air handler with heat strip.

Here is my question : Can I use a Honeywell Prestige thermostat with the system or should I stick with the trane's stat ?

The honeywell stat is nicer looking, has the Adaptative Intelligent recovery and has that remote allowing to sense the temp anywhere in the house if needed. I just want to make sure I won't be missing features like control over blower speed or missing the dual stage compressor management.

Thanks !

Dominic

Stick to Trane's stat. The Trane 900 is nearly identical to the Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ model, which does have adaptive intelligent recovery, capability of using a remote room sensor (but not a "remote control" like the Prestige has), etc. You don't want to lose any communicating features of the system, and staging/blower control (though you could probably do it similarly with the Prestige, I don't recommend it over Trane's control).

Thank you for your time

I did not know about the remote sensing ability of the trane stat. I'll stick to the Trane's.

Dominic

Dominic,

I just looked again to be sure, and it appears that the TCONT900 just has the capability of a "remote humidity sensor" and "remote discharge air sensor." In other words, I'm wrong and it looks like you can't use the same kind of remote sensor you would be able to use with a Honeywell control. Here's the info I had to double-check: http://www.butcherdistributors.com/I...0installer.pdf.

I still do strongly believe it would be best to keep the Trane stat, because if you use another control, it's just a standard 2-stage system. Sorry for my confusion.

Some real enhancements just made to the 20i system centered around the communicating control. Only reason not to use is if the furnace, such as the 2 stage can't. If using the modulator or an air handler, really should.

Thanks for your help

The remote sensing ability would be great. I live in Quebec (just north of Vermont). During our cold winters, it's nice to light up the fireplace which warms up the house. As temp in the house rises, thermostat shuts down central heating and it gets a little cool in bedrooms where children are sleeping. If I could put the remote sensor in one bedroom, the HVAC would still produce heat, keeping the kids warm. I don't mind having the rest of the house warmer during that time...

Any ideas to solve my problem ?

Dominic

Just found that the TCONT800 does support remote sensing see http://www.trane.com/residential/dow...s/TCONT800.pdf page 30

Do I need the TCONT900 with my system ?

Dominic

The 800 doesn't integrate with the system like the 900 does. The 800 can use the remote room sensors because it has a sub base with the wire connections for various functions of the system, whereas the 900 uses just three wires and has the equipment interface module in the air handler itself. So while it could likely be made to work, I still advise the 900 thermostat. Possible to put the thermostat uptsairs? System was probably not designed to make that a good option, if there aren't any return air grilles upstairs. If you look at your current thermostat location, you may see a return air grille below or above or near, because it provides a greater temperature sampling compared to a bedroom upstairs.

Use the fan on feature when you have your fireplace going. That will circulate some of the heat to those bedrooms.

If you use the fireplace nightly or every other night. You can program it to run the fan from X time until X time every night, or every other night.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thank you all for your valuable input !

Dominic