+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help

Post Likes
    New to HVAC field, Need help doing Resume. No real work experience.

Post Likes
    Does being "new to the HVAC field" mean you have had some sort of schooling/training? Your public library should have a few books on how to write a resume. Just be honest with your work history and its always better to deliver those resumes in person so the owner can meet you.

Post Likes
    Make out a basic resume and be honest. If you have no experience in the trade tell them. Tell them you would like to learn the trade and are willing to do what it takes. Ask them if they are looking for a helper or an apprentice. When I started, I was the same way. I had 12 credits of hvac from the local community college and opened the phone book, made some calls and got hired as an apprentice. It sucked not knowing anything at first but you will pick it up. remember that rome was not built in a day. Good luck to you!

Post Likes
    yes, im gonna graduate in July. Good idea going to library im gonna try that and do some cold calling to the company's thanks for the suggestions

Post Likes

Hey Lily.

Walk in with that resume BEFORE 8:00. If you call, make it only to set up an appt. to meet the owner, or just walk in at 7:30 or so. I just fired my own 19 yr. old son for being late 2 days in a row. If I am not a priority to my employees, why should they expect to be one to me. Be punctual, be clean cut, cover your tattoos, take off all jewelery, look professional. That is Waaaaaaaaay more important to me that some damn words on a resume that are most likely BS anyways, just writing what you think I want to hear. Show me that your the type man I will be willing to invest my money training.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Young folks are used to typing on chat lines. As a result they are murdering the English language. Make sure you correct your resume. Or have someone else correct it for you.

You will be writing job work orders and descriptions of work for who ever hires you. It would be nice for him to know that you have some command of grammar.

Post Likes

Talking

Spotts fired his own kid, that's cold.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Diceman
    Spotts fired his own kid, that's cold.
    He's home painting trim. If he wants another shot here next year, he's gonna have to get his head out of his ass.

What would you do Dice? Show the crew who busts ass for you every day that Daddy's little Fatty can do as he pleases and they will have to work harder to compensate his wages?

[Edited by spotts on 06-03-2004 at 09:30 AM]
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    You did the right thing, Jack, show him that there's no free rides.

He'll eventually thank you for it.

Now when he comes back, the guys can bust his balls that they know the boss and if he doesn't tow the line he'll be hitchhiking home.

Post Likes
    Pack him up and send him to Vermont. I'm an expert at inspiring young fatties. 2 of my sons are working for me this summer. One son is full time 32 yo. His little brother is in college and working just for the summer. He is 23.

They both work hard now that they have seen the light but that wasn't always the case. I actually had a stick that I poked them with when they were teenagers. They always had that "I'd like to stick that stick up his...." look on their faces. I just smiled and said, "just try it!"

By firing him he won. Now he is home, "painting trim" and mommy is making sandwiches for him.

I'm laughing as I am writing this you know. Been there, done that.

Post Likes

Actually your wrong.

He desperately wants to learn this trade. He wants to open his own someday. He was heartbroke when I told him I don't need him anymore after only 3 days. He already failed in college, just can't commit himself. He thinks he's owed this "drinkin and screwin" college lifestyle that he sees on MTV. Kids don't get their heads out of their arses till about 21 or so I've noticed. Hard to give up that High School pace they hated so darn much. I'm trying to talk him into attending to Red Rocks HVAC college
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

Re: Actually your wrong.

Originally posted by spotts
    . I'm trying to talk him into attending to Red Rocks HVAC college
    When I was a kid your son's age I was the same way. I went to HVAC college and I was asked to leave. But then the Army got a hold of me and that straigten me out. They have an excellent HVAC school at Fort Belvoir.

My first born son took the Army route to manhood. When he got out he went to Culinary school and is now a chef at fancy resort a little north of here.

Both the other boys graduated from Hudson Valley CC in the HVAC program. When they got in school they both were impressed that I knew the stuff that they were being taught.
    Point being is that Dad's don't know nuttin. So if you son goes for HVAC it will be a good catalist for your relationship.

Post Likes
    thanks for all the support i got, went to the library and got some ideas on how to build my resume. i also did a cover letter which i am sending to all the potential companies in my area. I'm sure one of them are willing to give me a chance. thanks again.

Post Likes
    Most of the guys that posted on this thread are business owners, and I think I can speak for the rest of the guys to an extent, that a fancy resume isn't what will get you hired.

It's an attitude that shows a willingness to work and learn, and be Johnny on the spot. It's an ability to speak to other people with a confidence that, in your case, might say something like, "yeah, I'm new at this, but I know what questions to ask to get this job done."

Don't get me wrong, a resume is necessary, unless you're going the route of applying for a job with your dad, but a concise, neat work/school history, with a few good references is better than a ten page tome of your favorite passtimes and lifelong ambitions. Keep it brief, keep it neat, keep it honest.

Hide the tattoos, wierd piercings and long hair. Be polite, confident, and sincere. When you get the job, back that all up with your actions.

The advice to show up before 8 am is excellent, too.

Post Likes
    well i got a job interview on monday yay!!! I walked in this HVAC company on monday morning, I talked to the HR person which was a women and personally she made me comfortable. anyways she explained to me that they were a temp to perm hire. which is fine with me cuz i am getting out of school in july.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in