Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Laptop Access to CPC E2 Controllers

Does anyone know what I will need to access an E2 controller from a laptop at the local level. The only controller I have ever accessed remotely before is Microthermo.

I want to be able to access the MT & LT E2's on the inside of the store. They located outside on. Hill/Phoenix Weather Pack. Systwms.

I was thinking I could run one CAT5 cable downstairs and that should do?
    Will need a cable for each E2? On my energy management drawing it shows both E2's tied together but I have to physically see that.

What would be the easiest way to access the E2's from the store level using my laptop. What software do I need on the laptop to access the E2? What is the connection interface from the E2 to the laptop? CAT5 straight or cross over?

Thanks
    Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Honestly, the easiest way is with a 9 pin serial cable.

Ethernet is nice, but a number of customers get touchy when you start getting near their business networks.

If the ethernet is not veing used, then you need a crossover cable. Just ask at any electronics shop.

JP is right, the 9 pin serial cable is the way to go. You need to get the Ultrasite program loaded into your computer then you can go online and get the upgrade for the program.

http://www.emersonclimate.com/en-US/...ultrasite.aspx

If the store has a BX that you can tie into you should be able to see the RX controllers on the roof as well as long as they are networked.
    Some of the best opportunities come disguised as challenges.

cpc also just rolled out ultra site v 4.81 downloaded it today.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

9 pin is old and slow IMO.

If I am going to sit in the machine room, I will direct connect TCP/IP with a straight CAT5E cable...much faster than 9 Pin.

If I want to roam the roof top or the sales floor with my laptop, I will hang a wireless router off the back of the E2 door's ethernet port and connect with wireless.

If the E2's communicate with ethernet, find the hub and plug right in.

I do this even if the store uses the ethernet for their network, while I'm on site... I unplug their $hit.

Wireless with the router kicks major butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    9 pin is old and slow IMO.

If I am going to sit in the machine room, I will direct connect TCP/IP with a straight CAT5E cable...much faster than 9 Pin.

If I want to roam the roof top or the sales floor with my laptop, I will hang a wireless router off the back of the E2 door's ethernet port and connect with wireless.

If the E2's communicate with ethernet, find the hub and plug right in.

I do this even if the store uses the ethernet for their network, while I'm on site... I unplug their $hit.

Wireless with the router kicks major butt.
    Get caught, get canned.

No thanks.

I get paid to do the computer work, so if they don't want to give me ethernet access, they can pay me the few minutes longer to do it via 9 pin.

With E2 and the high speed serial access, it isn't like it's an E1 download @ 9600 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Get caught, get canned.

No thanks.

I get paid to do the computer work, so if they don't want to give me ethernet access, they can pay me the few minutes longer to do it via 9 pin.

Just not worth it.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Well, your not on "their" network by hanging a router on the E2. Your on your own network between your computer, router and the E2's. So no special access is needed.

But if you get in trouble for unpluging their network while on site..then by all means don't do it

Arrow Lookin to make my life easier

Ethernet is nice, but a number of customers get touchy when you start getting near their business networks.
    not sure if i follow you there?? is it normal for the E2 RX-300 computer network to plugged in to the business network???

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I don't know if there will be anything plugged in to the ethernet ports on the E2's at all? I'm pretty sure both E2's at the last wallyworld store like this has none.

I'm not sure if I follow that??? I guess I have to look in to this whole thing a bit further.

I am going to get set up with ultrasite on my lap top so I just got to find out how I will be able to set it up, although the wireless router thingy sounds cool !

AS now i'm not posting from my Cell phone in a Wel-Mert parking lot haha maybe I can say a bit more about what I'm looking to do. This is a new installation of 2 Hill Phoenix weather pack ref systems and all new Cases and Controls in a loop system. I wil be starting up 2 of these stores at the samne tme in a tight time frame and I need to save as much time as possible. I would like to have access to the E2's on the sales floor by the cases during startup and if possible I may be able to get some cable pulled now to allow permenant indoor access points for the E2's. That is the info I am looking for. what cables to run. I was thinking of ethernet plug on top of a case on the floor so I t can be accessed easily from inside??

The E2s are located on the roof and are not in a penthous or machine room so standing on a roof outside in the dead of a canadian winter in a snow storm will not be fun playing with a CPC.

Mike

They told us that the router interferes with the check out scanners.

If the ethernet is not being used, then you need a crossover cable. Just ask at any electronics shop.
    oops I missed that lol

so it looks like that this may be the case, if so can I run straight CAT 5 cable from the 2 E2's on the roof to a female RJ45 on top of a case, then use a X/O cable from there to the laptop?

can I get away with one CAT 5 Cable or would I need one cable for each unit?

Is it possible to plug 2 E2's to a switch then to one CAT5 cable to run down stairs,changing the default IP on one of the E2's???

Sorry if the Q's sound dumb and or repetative but I have zero practical experience with this, but to my benifit I learn quick haha
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeySq; 04-19-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeySq View Post
    oops I missed that lol

so it looks like that this may be the case, if so can I run straight CAT 5 cable from the 2 E2's on the roof to a female RJ45 on top of a case, then use a X/O cable from there to the laptop?

can I get away with one CAT 5 Cable or would I need one cable for each unit?

Is it possible to plug 2 E2's to a switch then to one CAT5 cable to run down stairs,changing the default IP on one of the E2's???

Sorry if the Q's sound dumb and or repetative but I have zero practical experience with this, but to my benifit I learn quick haha
    Mike
    Assuming that the E2s are networked together, you will need one cable.

More and more customers are putting the E2 and AK controllers on their business network. This allows the energy/HVAC/Refer gurus at their corporate office to log/monitor things much more easily.

Seriously, setting up a network like that is beyond what I understand about ethernet/Cat5 wiring.

If you are only doing startup, then setting up a temporary wireless network sounds like the thing to do.

Haven't seen Wally's E2 setup, so I don't know what they do with them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast