+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning tarnished copper fittings?

Post Likes
    Is there a way to clean tarnish from old copper fittings? I have quite a few copper fittings that are fairly tarnished, and although I can clean them one by one at the time of use, is there a way to clean the batch? Tarn-X or Brasso or similar which won't contaminate the system.

Post Likes
    Scrap copper pile.

Post Likes
    hot water and trisodium phosphate dip em in and out and then rinse and dry em real well will "pickle" them slightly but does a nice job

Post Likes
    Be careful with that TSP. That's some raunchy stuff.

I see someone has a little time on their hands...

Post Likes
    Why not clean them as you use them? Even with dipping, rinsing and drying them, won't they just tarnish again if not use right away? I always had tarnish on my fittings when I went to use them, all I ever do is just brush them out real good and sandcloth the fitting ends. Never had a problem yet.

Post Likes
    Liquid acid flux (Johnstone) will shine em brite as new.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    i was always taugt to be prepared for possibly using an extra fitting or two. it happens, and its cheaper to buy extra than to go back to the supply house. when you fininsh the job, any extra fittings go into a five gallen bucket. they may only be used again under two circumstances. 1- an emergency situation such as a late night or weekend repair that MUST be made, or 2- first week of december to be redeemed as part of the christmas bonus.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by oil lp man
    Scrap copper pile.
    No s#it! Just what are you worth an hour?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    BIG BUCK$$$. LOL.
    Only kidding.

[Edited by oil lp man on 06-02-2004 at 07:20 PM]

Post Likes
    A buddy of mine in this business has told me about using citric acid to clean copper fittings.
    I got a big bottle of RealLemon and a handful of tarnished copper fittings and put both of them into a small bucket. I stirred them around a few times, rinsed them off well with water and dried them. They weren't "shiny" clean but, they were clean and worked quite well. Minimal polishing with sandcloth and so far, no corroded solder joints.
    There is a product sold in supply houses made for cleaning copper. You wipe the stuff onto the copper, wipe it off and the copper is shiny clean. Can't remember the name of it but, it is mostly citric acid.

Post Likes
    that show myth busters used coke once haha that was on a penny i think

Post Likes
    Just torch um

Post Likes
    Originally posted by flange
    i was always taugt to be prepared for possibly using an extra fitting or two. it happens, and its cheaper to buy extra than to go back to the supply house. when you fininsh the job, any extra fittings go into a five gallen bucket. they may only be used again under two circumstances. 1- an emergency situation such as a late night or weekend repair that MUST be made, or 2- first week of december to be redeemed as part of the christmas bonus.

That's exactly how it happens, extra fittings from long finished jobs in a plastic crate. they start a 3/8" and go to 1-5/8".

Post Likes
    Originally posted by cctrol
    Originally posted by flange

That's exactly how it happens, extra fittings from long finished jobs in a plastic crate. they start a 3/8" and go to 1-5/8".
    Really, same here, I'm just not as organized as you two.

I have some in the truck that are green.

A fitting brush, scotchbrite pad and a healthy helping of flame and no one will know the diff.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in