Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a DUI..

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    This case not withstanding, mercy and consideration are qualities that are hardly exclusive to liberalism.
    Well actually judging from the responses here one could conclude that conservatives have a monopoly on this virtue at least where it really counts just like they do on contributions to charity as has been shown and discussed here in past threads. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

DUI deserves no leniency in my opinion. Driving a 2 ton bullet requires clear thinking at all times.
    Just about anyone here should know of someone who's life has been impacted by a drunk driver, me, I lost my 2 best friends October 3rd, 1980 because they and the other driver involved chose to drink and drive. It's hard to show mercy for anyone that gets behind the wheel after consuming any alcohol.
    In this case unless there was a confession or good solid witnesses that put you behind the wheel of the vehicle I see no case.

You do not have the burden of proof

The state has the burden of proof. They are the ones who must prove beyond a reasonable doubt, that you were driving when the accident occurred. Your legal expenses will be small compared to a conviction, (fines and jail time),loss of employment and high insurance.
    Avatar is a tribute to my Great Grandfather, Andrew Stewart. This pin was one of his advertisements for his heating and plumbing business. I never knew him but must of inherited his love of things mechanical since I am the only blue collar worker in the family

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    DUI deserves no leniency in my opinion. Driving a 2 ton bullet requires clear thinking at all times.
    Just about anyone here should know of someone who's life has been impacted by a drunk driver, me, I lost my 2 best friends October 3rd, 1980 because they and the other driver involved chose to drink and drive. It's hard to show mercy for anyone that gets behind the wheel after consuming any alcohol.
    In this case unless there was a confession or good solid witnesses that put you behind the wheel of the vehicle I see no case.

Like Glenn stated, there is a huge difference between "drunk" driving and being over the legal limit. .08 is not drunk!! It's way too low and good, hard working people are having their lives turned upside down over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostie View Post
    You're sick because some kid continually violated the law and a judge did what we hope he will do? The main purpose of government is to uphold justice, and good at the judge for throwing the book at him. Jeez, alot of liberal bleeding hearts hang out here...
    if there WAS justice in this world you wouldn't want it so much!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    Well try an educate the youth of today on that. Most who drink have to be caught the first time and sent to a DUI school to learn what it is all about and to learn what it is to be legally drunk and get destroyed verses really driving drunk. If they made everyone go to those classes before they got their licenses then maybe you can start destroying someones life on the first offense even if they didn't hurt someone otherwise give them one chance before you throw them and there future away on a first offense.

That's my opinion and I have a nephew who got the shaft on the first offense. Lost his job, his marriage, self respect, etc. and now is in depression over his fate on a non accident first offense. Most of the DUI caused deaths are by real hard core repeat offenders who are alcoholics and you can throw the key away on them. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Well try an educate the youth of today on that. Most who drink have to be caught the first time and sent to a DUI school to learn what it is all about and to learn what it is to be legally drunk and get destroyed verses really driving drunk. If they made everyone go to those classes before they got their licenses then maybe you can start destroying someones life on the first offense even if they didn't hurt someone otherwise give them one chance before you throw them and there future away on a first offense.

That's my opinion and I have a nephew who got the shaft on the first offense. Lost his job, his marriage, self respect, etc. and now is in depression over his fate on a non accident first offense. Most of the DUI caused deaths are by real hard core repeat offenders who are alcoholics and you can throw the key away on them. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Thank you very much.
    I feel for your nephew Glenn. I guess it depends on what area you are in but around here a DWI/DUI are not usually life killing experiences.

The biggest problem with DUI enforcement is states, cities, law enforcement, jails, tow companies, and court systems view DUI as a cash cow. With public opinion in their favor they are able to charge huge court costs, fines, fees, and impound charges. A DWI 1 here will cost about $500 in attornies fees. About three grand to satisfy everything else. Most lawyers will not even take them because they are losers. Rule one: cops lie, rule two: cops lie, rule three cops lie on the stand.

To the original poster. If what you say is true then make the state prove you where in control of the vehicle at the time of the accident. It is too late now but money spent on a good lawyer is money well spent. It sounds like you have a case but a PD is not going to care that much about your case. Prosecutors offices are funded 100 to 1 dollars over the public defenders office. It is a rigged system.

Good luck, I hope you have made your company enough money to hire a driver. I have done this in the past but the tech generated 50 to 70 grand a month off sales generated by service calls. Yes he was honest. People just liked him.

to bad your not on Welfare, the state will probably buy you a new car and find you a job

There is a simple reason I NEVER drink and drive.................firearms

In NYS, if you get a DWI, whether your carrying at the time or not, the state WILL TAKE all your firearms and all related equipment. Including ammo and reloading equipment and I got THOUSANDS of dollars involved in firearms.

So I would rather not loose all that over a couple of drinks
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    to bad your not on Welfare, the state will probably buy you a new car and find you a job

There is a simple reason I NEVER drink and drive.................firearms

In NYS, if you get a DWI, whether your carrying at the time or not, the state WILL TAKE all your firearms and all related equipment. Including ammo and reloading equipment and I got THOUSANDS of dollars involved in firearms.

So I would rather not loose all that over a couple of drinks
    Wow even in your own home. Any excuse to confiscate your guns. Can't believe it. Thank you very much.
    Barry Goldwater

why do you think we have to register every handgun we have (including make, model and serial number)
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    1st DUI needs to be given some leniency in my opinion. Someone had a couple of drinks, drove home, then was a victim of circumstance really.
    I don't think there should be any leniency for DUI/DWI. Is the person killed in a wreck a "victim of circumstance". And yes I have been arrested and convicted of a DWI and it was one of the best things that could of happened to me. It was my first and only DWI, but it was not the first time I should have gotten one. Being arrested was really a blessing in disguise.....

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    He sure lost alot, but nothing compared to what is lost if someone is killed by his foolish actions. He must not have been a very valuable employee or husband if he lost his job and wife on the first offense. As for self respect, well he likely didn't have much if he didn't have the mind to not driving drunk.

Removing age limits on buying alcohol would greatly reduce DUI/DWI's.Chidren raised around alcohol do,t have the problems with it that children in "dry areas " have.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast