Thread: Grey Water Tank

Post Likes

Grey Water Tank

Just bought a house which has grey water on top of ground. Anyone know of a good way to bury this? I was thinking maybe a 50 gallon plastic drum, buried, with some leech lines stobbed into it. Will it work? Anyone???

Post Likes
    What's it used for? I've seen tanks like that here in Texas used as cisterns for collecting rainwater, but the ones for underground are usually a different material and definitely a different design since they have to support the weight of the topsoil on top.

If it's for a septic system I have no clue

Post Likes
    house has septic system and they are taking the grey water out seperate to keep it out of septic??

if that is the case you could probably bury a tank and run perforated pipe off of that to create another drain field, just do it away from the drainfield for the septic system.

if not what you are talking about i have no clue.........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    house has septic system and they are taking the grey water out seperate to keep it out of septic??

if that is the case you could probably bury a tank and run perforated pipe off of that to create another drain field, just do it away from the drainfield for the septic system.

if not what you are talking about i have no clue.........
    Thats what im talking about. Alot of homes with septic systems in the country have grey water to keep it out of the septic tank. Problem is it stinks so Id like to bury it.

Post Likes
    Be careful of what you put in the ground.

I bought a property 20 years ago. Unbeknown to me it had a old 500 gal tank buried in the ground. The State found out about it.(long story). Now it is MY problem.

3500 hundred bucks to the haz-mat team remove the tank so far. Now we have to do an environmental impact study. I don't know who is going to pay for that. I do have public liability insurance. BUT...............to be continued.

Post Likes
    if you bury a plastic drum make sure you fill it full of charcoal to filter it, then just pump it over the veggies or bottle it and sell it

Post Likes
    I thought the grey water went into the septic & flowed out through the fill lines. Thats the way they did it at my lot on the river.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Consider ''grey-water'' meaning, if your talking washing machine then lint will pack anything resembling a lateral line full. I am not a plumber, btw.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac hero View Post
    I thought the grey water went into the septic & flowed out through the fill lines. Thats the way they did it at my lot on the river.
    It can be but adds that much more waste to the septic tank. There are some solids in grey water from the garbage disposal etc.

That reminds me, I saw my stupid dog at the outlet eating macaroni noodles out of the puddle. gag

Post Likes
    an aerobic system like the one on my home eliminates the need to seperate grey water from toilet water. it costs a lot more, is regulated by the state and adds to the electric bill. but the water comes out clean and is pumped to sprinklers , keeping the grass nice and green.

Post Likes
    Grey water can be piped to a drywell depending on building and health codes.

Drywells can be had from a septic tank or concrete supplier, they look like small septic tanks that have many holes precast in the sides and no bottom.

Many older inground septic systems around here have them to unload all that water from the sanitary leach field. Newer system designs do not allow them, all effluent must discharge to the leach field.

Check your codes.

Post Likes
    To cover up the grey water, kits are available in market. It will perform several task like cleanout, filter basin, greywater filter etc. Hope this will help you.